Volte Launched?

• 18 September 2017
  • 50 replies

Show first post

50 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi to All,

If I could add my few cents to this discussion I personally think that folks who thin...
My only reason for VoLTE is to give the battery a break, but I can currently do that by limiting myself to 3G only, so no deal breaker for me.
Userlevel 1
Hi to All,

If I could add my few cents to this discussion I personally think that folks who thin...
I think a bit of the issue is frustration with Koodo being pretty much the last remaining (nationwide) carrier to be missing these features. Especially since Telus has had them for months. It just... raises questions. Not having features we ought to have makes my inner-nerd itch.

Some of us use our phones for business, myself included, so we do use our phone for the occasional phone call. Any feature that could improve call quality and allow for calls in poor reception areas is a bonus.

Personally, I'm looking forward to WiFi calling more than VoLTE. We can all relate to being in an area or inside a building with poor cell reception — but ample access to WiFi. I don't understand why Koodo wouldn't already have this feature, considering Telus does.

I understand that VoLTE requires upgrades to the infrastructure, so I understand that can take a fair bit of time to fully implement. Still though, surely Koodo could have access to VoLTE in the same areas as Telus, as they become available. Bell didn't delay Virgin's access.

If Koodo is slow to implement these features, will they be slow to introduce other features down the road, too? Is Telus making the decision to intentionally and unnecessarily delay bringing new features to their flanker brands? If so, one can certainly understand why customers might be irritated.
Userlevel 6
Hi to All,

Koodo is a no-frills, all self-serve brand. Koodo gives fewer carrier-driven features or services (VoLTE, VoWiFi, data only tablet plans, etc.), in return gives bigger discounts on phones, more generous referral credits (again self-serve promo) and billing features such as SFD, still on the better Bellus nation-wide network. Aside these factors (and market dumping), expect to pay roughly the same from one month to the next with the other subsidiaries.
Userlevel 6
Hi to All,

Honestly, I had VoLTE back when I was on Rogers. I was dropping calls more than I liked. It's by no means a perfected technology. Personally, I rarely call any more, so I don't really care one way or the other about having it. That said, Koodo is generally cheaper for plans and data than the big 3, so you have to expect some concessions in return.
Hi to All,

but fido and virgin are offering the same plans with same prices with VoLTE, i think thats why koodo subscribers are getting irked.
Userlevel 6
Hi to All,

Fair enough, every person has different wants and needs as far as features. That's the beauty of having choices in carriers. 🙂
Hi to All,

True. I have been a loyal koodo subscriber since 2011... Koodo used to be the only one offering Canadian wide calling back then and it was pretty competitive. Now, to be completely honest, both fido and virgin are matching their plans with koodo. Additionally, they don't charge fees for the call centre, yet they still have mobile phone apps. Let's be real, koodo has been cutting off their budget for lots of things and other phone companies are offering whatever Koodo is offering and even more... Lets hope Koodo would actually hear from us and make some changes eventually.
Userlevel 3
Apple Watch Series 3 needs VoLTE to work on the Telus network, and sales will start on December 1, 2017. So that is a pretty good sign that VoLTE will be enabled soon,
Apple Watch Series 3 needs VoLTE to work on the Telus network, and sales will start on December 1...Koodo doesn’t sell Apple Watch...
Userlevel 4
Hi to All,

I wanted to mention one thing. Unfortunately even Koodo implement VoLte soon it is not going to work on iPhone 5s and older.
Userlevel 6
Not surprising. The 5s is 4+ years old. It’s long pas EOL as far as carrier support is concerned.
Userlevel 4
Not surprising. The 5s is 4+ years old. It’s long pas EOL as far as carrier support is concerned.I know there is a lot of excitement in the air about implementation of VoLte on Koodo (including myself) but I think there will be a lot of disappointments, as well. I know people who loves their older models of IPhones so much that they may not give them up for VoLte.

That is interesting because iPhone 5s receives all new updates and it could be VoLte ready. Everything in it supports it. Apple probably want people to buy new models so they killing it through slowly blocking some features.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Not surprising. The 5s is 4+ years old. It’s long pas EOL as far as carrier support is concerned.There are some issues with the 5s hardware limitation and that is the reason why Apple said it will support VoiceLTE from iphone6 https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT203078

Userlevel 4
Not surprising. The 5s is 4+ years old. It’s long pas EOL as far as carrier support is concerned.@Azure123

Actually 5s hardware can handle VoLTE.  5s is 64 capable. Anyway there is no great appetite and enthusiasm among some folks for VoLTE on Koodo, so if they have incompatible phones which they love they are not going to give them up anyway.
Userlevel 4
Not surprising. The 5s is 4+ years old. It’s long pas EOL as far as carrier support is concerned.I see telus just announced that VoLTE is available all over Quebec now what about koodo when will they receive it and what about wifi calling any word on when it will be available on the Koodo network thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Not surprising. The 5s is 4+ years old. It’s long pas EOL as far as carrier support is concerned.@Jan Hope: I think you should read the Apple note. Apple said "no" VoiceLTE for 5s, only 6 or newer. You should blame Apple for whatever you believed.
Userlevel 4
Not surprising. The 5s is 4+ years old. It’s long pas EOL as far as carrier support is concerned.I don't have apple i use the lgg4 phone
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Not surprising. The 5s is 4+ years old. It’s long pas EOL as far as carrier support is concerned.@Lloyd, Telus users has been using VoiceLTE for almost 10+ months. Koodo said they are testing it but likely won't let you know exact dates for rollout. They just launched the easyroam today(similar to fidoroam), so let's wait, they are improving.
Userlevel 4
Not surprising. The 5s is 4+ years old. It’s long pas EOL as far as carrier support is concerned.@Azure123

I have already blamed Apple in my earlier post. I have never blamed Koodo for that. And it has nothing to do with my belief.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Not surprising. The 5s is 4+ years old. It’s long pas EOL as far as carrier support is concerned.@Jan Hope: you mentioned "[i]Actually 5s hardware can handle VoLTE.  5s is 64 capable", That was what I meant about your belief.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Not surprising. The 5s is 4+ years old. It’s long pas EOL as far as carrier support is concerned.@Jan Hope: you mentioned "[i]Actually 5s hardware can handle VoLTE.  5s is 64 capable", That was what I meant about your belief.
Userlevel 4
The reason I said it has nothing to do with my belief. Because I did some research about it and based on that research I have come to conclusion that it has to do more with Apple decision than the phone itself although without any doubt it is and old phone with a new software.

I want to stop this argument. On this forum we want to help each other not to argue about some technicalities that some people may not even be interested in or understand what we are talking about.

I wonder how many people took advantage of the massive 10GB/$60 blitz this weekend to port out to a carrier with VoLTE? Everything else being equal, that’s the only differentiator.
Userlevel 4
I wonder how many people took advantage of the massive 10GB/$60 blitz this weekend to port out t...I ported out after Koodo insisted the 10GB plan is for new customers only.  The faster call setups on VoLTE are quite noticeable and appreciated. The quality is perhaps a tiny bit better than HSPA with HD Voice. That all said, it's not great. Sometimes you get artifacts that you'll find with voip. Today, I had a one-way audio in and out of a call, which was super frustrating.
Turning it off for now.