Koodo Community

Community

Solved

using a new phone (Iphone 6se) on Wi-fi only

Hi I just bought a IPhone 6SE for my daughter. I wanted her to use it at home on the Wi-Fi and maybe in the future use it on a data plan. I was trying to set-up the phone but the phone says I need a SIM card. I cannot skip that process. Anyone have any suggestions? I am not going to get a plan for my daughter so the sim is not an option. It seems that I might actually have to return the phone as customer service is not able to help me.  They claim I have to call Apple and get authorization from them??? 

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you can, give her a prepaid plan... $15 per month which includes savings up for a data booster in the future. At least she'll be able to text wherever she is... Just an idea 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If I'm not mistaken, this is an Apple implemented restriction, where the phone won't allow you to do anything (i.e. boot up) without recognizing a SIM card. That said, the SIM does not need to be active - so if you want to stick with providing your daughter an iPhone vs an iPod, you can purchase a Koodo SIM card, not activate it, and use the phone without active service/WiFi only.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Do you have a phone thats active? Just take out your SIM Card and put it into the phone to set it up and then take it out once you have finished setting up her phone and put it back into your phone. Must be the same size SIM Card so keep that in mind.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You realize the phone cannot make calls without a SIM card? If you do not expect her to make calls, an iPod Touch might be a better device for her needs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David wrote:

You realize the phone cannot make calls without a SIM card? If you do not expect her to make call...

Koodo does not offer Wi-fi calling. The iPod can use any VoIP offering you might place onto iPhone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ranjan wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, this is an Apple implemented restriction, where the phone won't allow you to...

Just did a quick test. Once set up, you can use the iPhone without a SIM installed. It, of course, will not be able to do anything needing connection to the cellular network.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David wrote:

You realize the phone cannot make calls without a SIM card? If you do not expect her to make call...

Wifi calling.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you go to a Koodo booth, the rep there should allow you to borrow an active store SIM to get the phone set up. Hopefully your close to a Koodo store.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David wrote:

I mean using wifi to use an app that makes calls. Lol came out the wrong way