Koodo Community
Question

Use my iphone in Europe?

Hi, I'm leaving for Spain and Portugal next week. I have an iphone4 8G. I was wondering if there was any special plan for Europe. If not, what do I have to turn "off" in my phone to make sure I won't receive calls or txts? And will I still be able to connect in the wi-fi zones? Thanks!

37 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Nobody seems to have mentioned that unless you have international voice roaming and international...Why does int'l data roaming have to be on?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Nobody seems to have mentioned that unless you have international voice roaming and international data roaming add ons activated on your account the phone won't roam on a European network anyway.
Userlevel 1
As people have stated before, you can turn on Airplane Mode and then manually turn on WiFi to con...Of course that method risks receiving SMS text messages at $0.60 ea as there is no way to turn them off if the phone is on a carrier's network. I'd use it on Wifi only or unlock it and and get a local SIM.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
As people have stated before, you can turn on Airplane Mode and then manually turn on WiFi to connect to a hotspot. Another option is just turning off your mobile data (Settings > General > Cellular > set "Cellular Data" to off). Your mobile data is now off and you can still use your phone. If anyone else has access to your phone (i.e. kids), and you're worried that someone will flip that toggle back on, you can dial 611 prior to your departure and have Koodo place a Data Block on your account.
Check out Canada worst bill http://youtu.be/7uRpOSxPP_w
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hey Steve. Here's a quote from my international homeline company : "When you sign up for our Calling Card service you enjoy the opportunity to stay in touch with all your friends, family, and business partners even when you are away from your home or office. Calling Card service is added only upon your request and does not cost anything to create. You will receive an access number and your personal PIN number that will allow you to use the service instantly. The service is postpaid, meaning at the end of the billing period you will receive your invoice for calling card usage." http://www.pulsetelecom.ca/main/Services/serviceDetails.aspx?srvid=CC&srvn=Calling%20Cards Therefore, using this calling card will make it as if you were calling from home since the rates are the same. You understand better now? Example. Me in Urunguay wanting to call mom in Kansakstan with Skype. I dial the Pulse Telecom calling card from skype. I enter my PIN number + the number I want to call. Somehow it redirect my phone call as if I was calling from home with the same rates I pay from my landline phone. BUT I only used wifi. The advantage is that Skype let's you call this number without any subscription.
Userlevel 1
Thanks Robert, it's good to know it works well on the iPhone. On my Motorola Atrix the audio is very poor and they never quite fixed it right (one of the first dual core processors was the problem) so I use a notebook and get really good results and yes it is always better to keep the video off as it gives you more bandwidth for voice. Did you mean to call the 888 number from Skype? North American toll free numbers wouldn't be reachable from Europe any other way, right? And even if they were it would be $2.50/minute to Koodo for the roamer airtime. Of course not everyone works for a company that offers DISA (Direct Inward System Access) on a toll free number 🙂 Sorry but I'm kind of having a hard time understanding how calling a toll free number on Skype would be different then calling the number you want? Thanks again for the info.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It does work pretty well. Tried on both iPhone and iPad. Mostly used for call and not video calls and I've never has any problem Steve! What I could suggest, is a toll-free number that redirects your call as if you were making them from your house. It does work pretty well and it's less expansive. For example our company permits us to call 1888-XXX-XXXX and then put a PIN number. Afterwards, I can call wherever I want for the same price as if I was calling from home. Which is more advantageous than paying Skype. Works from all around the world.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
So you can turn on airplane mode (which turns off wifi also) and then just turn wifi back on (but...I have used Skype on my iphone (for skype to skype calls only) and it has worked extremely well.
Userlevel 1
So you can turn on airplane mode (which turns off wifi also) and then just turn wifi back on (but still in airplane mode to avoid incoming text messages).... So can anyone comment on how well the Skype app works on the iPhone? When I travel internationally I find Skype-Out is a great money saver (unlimited calling to US/Canada land lines or cell phones for $2.99/month or 0.027/minute without a subscription but usually use a notebook computer. Often the call quality (with a USB headset) is superior to a phone, does any know if Skype works well on the iPhone?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Take a look at this : http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/use_my_iphone_in_europe Plenty of nice apps to still use your phone while abroad + some tips!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This is a great question. How do you turn the network off? Or even choose a different network wh...Firstly, to answer to Dennis: the last seller I used was "daxgsm", but he doesn't currently have any listings up. I wouldn't worry about eBay transactions. A couple of sellers have tried to scam me before, but PayPal Loss Prevention took care of it. Secondly, I'll add my $.02 to the locking debate. The carriers are allowed to place a SIM-lock on subsidized phones. The problem is, not all of the phone prices are subsidized. Some of us buy our phones outright and it's criminal that we should have to pay a premium on top of the full price. And the kicker is that we have to meet certain other obligations for the "privilege" of paying $50+ to unlock our unsubsidized phone. This is why I don't buy my phones from the carriers.
Userlevel 1
This is a great question. How do you turn the network off? Or even choose a different network wh...This debate really belongs on a different thread. All carriers "lock" the phones to their network and subsidize the cost of the phones to make them affordable to you and have you as their customer. Given that most phones are easily unlocked for small fee I don't think it much matters. Koodo seems one of the least "evil" in that regard as they have no long term contracts. I hate these 3 year contracts so much I always just buy the phone outright and when my previous carrier wouldn't give me the code to unlock it when I was overseas and really needed it (and it was my phone, they had no remaining ownership of it so they were holding my equipment hostage which was enough to beak the camel's back), I used a third party to unlock it in 5 minutes after they said no, and when I got back to Canada I ported the number to Koodo. I suppose this debate might be worthwhile if it wasn't so easy to defeat the network lock and move on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This is a great question. How do you turn the network off? Or even choose a different network wh...Just to be clear, I'm not talking about just Koodo having unlocked phones, but for all carriers in Canada. I mean I am using a Telus iPhone so even if Koodo offered unlocked phones that still doesnt unlock my phone. You might think I have a sense of entitlement, but I refer to this situation as a customer expecting something more and fair for a device I fully own. I like to promote change, improvement, freedom, you do not. Too bad that with the exception of Apple, we cannot buy our phones directly from the manufacturer like LG, Samsung, etc. It's ok. We dont have to agree. But it is nice to hear your side of the discussion as well
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This is a great question. How do you turn the network off? Or even choose a different network wh...You keep talking about paying full price for a phone yet fail to mention that it is the full price for a LOCKED phone. Koodo offers the iphone 5 for $670. An unlocked iphone 5 costs $699 but must be purchased directly from Apple. They sell the iphone 4 for $300, but an unlocked iphone 4 costs $450. The s4 sells for 625.00 locked but 686.00 unlocked. And the sense of entitlement I refer to is not expecting the phone to be unlocked for free, that's only unrealistic. The sense of entitlement refers to you complaining that the reward offered by koodo is insufficient because you don't want the phones they carry. Your referred other customers to koodo, presumably because you like their service. Koodo gave you a bonus for doing so. There is nothing requiring them to do so other than the fact that it's a nice thing to do. Complaining about the reward suggests a DISTINCT sense of entitlement.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This is a great question. How do you turn the network off? Or even choose a different network wh...Yes I understand the current stipulation. Hence I'm trying to create change with discussion and promotion that locking phones is of no benefit to the consumer. This kind of discussion along with Bill C-343 was what "encouraged" the carriers to even offer unlocking services. I'm just trying to improve things a little bit more with healthy dialogue and conversation. When you pay full price for a phone, I dont believe it is a sense of entitlement. And with respect to employees complaining about a bad Office Christmas Party, I see that as an opportunity to look as ways to change and improve, Not to dig in your heels and say it's always been this way and this is how we do it. Without change and improvement we all just stand still and not move forward
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This is a great question. How do you turn the network off? Or even choose a different network wh...The difference being that the cellphone is sold as being only able to connect to koodo, the car is not. If you buy a car with a stipulation that it can only be driven on Canadian roads it's still your fault for buying it, not the retailer's for selling it to you. Same with your laptop example. It is the customer's right to choose which device to buy and whether they will buy it from a given store. It is not the right of the customer to decide which devices a given store will carry. Koodo offers the tab as a reward program which you can use to buy devices from them. They are not REQUIRED to offer even that. I find the rampant sense of entitlement prevalent in today's society disturbing. If an employer throws a christmas party for employees as a bonus at the end of the year and gets nothing but complaints it doesn't mean they will offer a 'better' bonus next year. It generally means they will offer nothing at all.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This is a great question. How do you turn the network off? Or even choose a different network wh...I agree. Selling unlocked phones does not produce an advantage in anyway to any carriers. I'm only trying to create awareness and honestly to try and convince people. As analogy, buying that Kia and being only able to drive on Canadian roads and not on US roads is just shy of highway robbery (pun intended). Another analogy, imagine buying a laptop and only being able to use one WIFI provider. Honestly it is a huge annoyance when dealing with a locked phone, as you can see with people who travel internationally in this post. I really wish there was a retail outlet across Canada that specifically sold unlocked phones or would unlock phones for you. Yes you can buy unlocked phones online. You can even unlock phones online. However as Mat experienced, there have been a number of people ripped off and it may not be a viable option for the average person. Now specific to Koodo, I'm stuck buying a locked phone from them if I have tab credits as well. Problem is even when switching to the 10% model, I still refer people to koodo and get referral credits that I must use on a locked koodo phone. Unless I choose the Nexus. Which is not a phone many people desire, including myself. As a provider I see the incentive to lock their phones. As a consumer (which I believe you are Timo), I see absolutely zero benefit to have to buy phones pre-locked. Hence I'm trying to gain awareness with my comments only where appropriate. But you keep knocking me down man!
Userlevel 4
This is a great question. How do you turn the network off? Or even choose a different network wh...That, my friends, is why some shouldn't argue with Timo 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This is a great question. How do you turn the network off? Or even choose a different network wh...Simply put, you're spitting into the wind. Carriers do not sell unlocked phones because there is absolutely no advantage to them in doing so. It will not attract hordes of new customers because the majority of customers do not care whether their phone comes locked or not. It will not improve customer retention because brand loyalty is a myth and customers will not decide to stay simply because you've made it easier to leave. Virtually any cellphone on the market can be purchased unlocked over the internet for less than the carriers could afford to sell them. Nobody is forcing you to buy a locked phone. Anyone who chooses to purchase a locked phone forfeits their right to complain that it is locked, just as anyone who chooses to purchase a Kia forfeits the right to complain that it isn't a Lincoln.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This is a great question. How do you turn the network off? Or even choose a different network wh...@Timo, we have discussed this a lot. You know my opinion Against locked phones. May I ask why you are For locking phones to a carrier's network? Maybe I'll get a better understanding
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This is a great question. How do you turn the network off? Or even choose a different network wh...I just plug my cable into the wall. No receivers required. However Telus is able to use the XBox 360 as it's digital receiver. I think that was nice to see
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This is a great question. How do you turn the network off? Or even choose a different network wh...Or if Shaw sold satellite receivers you could only use with Shaw...oh,wait...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This is a great question. How do you turn the network off? Or even choose a different network wh...Its reasons like this that Locking phones should be a practice that stops. If I own the phone it should not be locked and I can do with it as I please with which ever provider. It's like if Esso sold cars and the car could only use Esso gas unless you unlock it
Userlevel 1
This is a great question. How do you turn the network off? Or even choose a different network wh...One advice guys stay away from this crook company http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/ she ripped off and more than other 100 poor people lik me .