Koodo Community
Question

Use my iphone in Europe?

Show first post

37 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This is a great question. How do you turn the network off? Or even choose a different network wh...Firstly, to answer to Dennis: the last seller I used was "daxgsm", but he doesn't currently have any listings up. I wouldn't worry about eBay transactions. A couple of sellers have tried to scam me before, but PayPal Loss Prevention took care of it. Secondly, I'll add my $.02 to the locking debate. The carriers are allowed to place a SIM-lock on subsidized phones. The problem is, not all of the phone prices are subsidized. Some of us buy our phones outright and it's criminal that we should have to pay a premium on top of the full price. And the kicker is that we have to meet certain other obligations for the "privilege" of paying $50+ to unlock our unsubsidized phone. This is why I don't buy my phones from the carriers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Take a look at this : http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/use_my_iphone_in_europe Plenty of nice apps to still use your phone while abroad + some tips!
Userlevel 1
So you can turn on airplane mode (which turns off wifi also) and then just turn wifi back on (but still in airplane mode to avoid incoming text messages).... So can anyone comment on how well the Skype app works on the iPhone? When I travel internationally I find Skype-Out is a great money saver (unlimited calling to US/Canada land lines or cell phones for $2.99/month or 0.027/minute without a subscription but usually use a notebook computer. Often the call quality (with a USB headset) is superior to a phone, does any know if Skype works well on the iPhone?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
So you can turn on airplane mode (which turns off wifi also) and then just turn wifi back on (but...I have used Skype on my iphone (for skype to skype calls only) and it has worked extremely well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It does work pretty well. Tried on both iPhone and iPad. Mostly used for call and not video calls and I've never has any problem Steve! What I could suggest, is a toll-free number that redirects your call as if you were making them from your house. It does work pretty well and it's less expansive. For example our company permits us to call 1888-XXX-XXXX and then put a PIN number. Afterwards, I can call wherever I want for the same price as if I was calling from home. Which is more advantageous than paying Skype. Works from all around the world.
Userlevel 1
Thanks Robert, it's good to know it works well on the iPhone. On my Motorola Atrix the audio is very poor and they never quite fixed it right (one of the first dual core processors was the problem) so I use a notebook and get really good results and yes it is always better to keep the video off as it gives you more bandwidth for voice. Did you mean to call the 888 number from Skype? North American toll free numbers wouldn't be reachable from Europe any other way, right? And even if they were it would be $2.50/minute to Koodo for the roamer airtime. Of course not everyone works for a company that offers DISA (Direct Inward System Access) on a toll free number 🙂 Sorry but I'm kind of having a hard time understanding how calling a toll free number on Skype would be different then calling the number you want? Thanks again for the info.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hey Steve. Here's a quote from my international homeline company : "When you sign up for our Calling Card service you enjoy the opportunity to stay in touch with all your friends, family, and business partners even when you are away from your home or office. Calling Card service is added only upon your request and does not cost anything to create. You will receive an access number and your personal PIN number that will allow you to use the service instantly. The service is postpaid, meaning at the end of the billing period you will receive your invoice for calling card usage." http://www.pulsetelecom.ca/main/Services/serviceDetails.aspx?srvid=CC&srvn=Calling%20Cards Therefore, using this calling card will make it as if you were calling from home since the rates are the same. You understand better now? Example. Me in Urunguay wanting to call mom in Kansakstan with Skype. I dial the Pulse Telecom calling card from skype. I enter my PIN number + the number I want to call. Somehow it redirect my phone call as if I was calling from home with the same rates I pay from my landline phone. BUT I only used wifi. The advantage is that Skype let's you call this number without any subscription.
Check out Canada worst bill http://youtu.be/7uRpOSxPP_w
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
As people have stated before, you can turn on Airplane Mode and then manually turn on WiFi to connect to a hotspot. Another option is just turning off your mobile data (Settings > General > Cellular > set "Cellular Data" to off). Your mobile data is now off and you can still use your phone. If anyone else has access to your phone (i.e. kids), and you're worried that someone will flip that toggle back on, you can dial 611 prior to your departure and have Koodo place a Data Block on your account.
Userlevel 1
As people have stated before, you can turn on Airplane Mode and then manually turn on WiFi to con...Of course that method risks receiving SMS text messages at $0.60 ea as there is no way to turn them off if the phone is on a carrier's network. I'd use it on Wifi only or unlock it and and get a local SIM.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Nobody seems to have mentioned that unless you have international voice roaming and international data roaming add ons activated on your account the phone won't roam on a European network anyway.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Nobody seems to have mentioned that unless you have international voice roaming and international...Why does int'l data roaming have to be on?