Koodo Community

Community

US Roaming text plan and iMessage

I have an iPhone 6 running IOS 10.3.3. I am going to add the $15 Unlimited Text Roaming Plan for my 10 days US trip next week. I do not want to use any Roaming Data and will only use Wifi for data. Questions: 1. Are these the correct settings: Cellular Data - On; Cellular Data Options - Roaming Off. I believe Cellular Data must be on for SMS to work (?) 2. With the above settings, I believe iMessage will not work - because it uses data (or Wifi). Must I also turn iMessage Off to ensure no data roaming charges: my preference would be to leave that setting on so that iMessage continues to work on Wifi connections. Thank you for any help.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You need data for imessage and MMS only. If you turn off imessage then you're good, otherwise with roaming f data off nothing will send until you connect to WiFi. You can turn imessage on while in WiFi if you want.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

You need data for imessage and MMS only. If you turn off imessage then you're good, otherwise wit...

With iMessage, if you disable it, it needs to be authenticated via sms the next time you turn it on. So, I'd not disable it abroad if I wanted to use it on WiFi.