Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Upgrading to newer iphone

If I have had an iPhone 4 for over 2 years now, can I upgrade to the iPhone 6s or 6 and keep my current plan? I only pay $30-$35 month as I sometimes go over my data limit (which isn't very hard to go over as indicated by the price I pay). Or do I have to get off my old plan and old phone and completely get a new phone with a new plan?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Take a look at options mentioned in this thread:

https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/old-vs-new-plans-costs

Userlevel 7
You can certainly keep your plan if you upgrade to the iPhone 6 or 6S. If you have an exisiting tab, it must be paid off first. 

You can buy an iPhone and put up to $360 on your tab while keeping your existing plan. If you put $360 on your tab,a $15/month tab charge will be added to your bill to pay off the subsidy. In 24 months (2 years), the tab is paid off and you will not longer be charged the extra $15/month.

The tab now is an interest free loan. So you will repay your entire subsidy by the end of the 24 month term.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Regardless of when you got your phone, you can always stay on your old plan.

If your tab with the iphone 4 is over 2 years then it should be 0 by now and maybe even in the positive tab.  You can buy the new iphone with your positive tab and up to $360 on the new tab.

Note that this tab is no longer a phone subsidy but a phone payment plan.  So a $360 tab will be paid back in equal installments over 24 months.

LOL.... THis is what happens when I type half the response, get pulled away and complete it like 10 mins later 
Would I need to buy the phone outright? Or can I still buy it for the $400 price as advertised (6s)?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
tomcrom9 . wrote:

Would I need to buy the phone outright? Or can I still buy it for the $400 price as advertised (6s)?

The $400 price is the Tab Plus price and will require a Tab plus plan.

Click on the iphone you want and look at the retail price.
You can minus $360 off that price if you want to keep your plan and go on the Tab installment payment
tomcrom9 . wrote:

Thanks Dennis,
Could you tell me if there are any upgrade benefits? By that I mean are there any discounts or deals if you have been with koodo for a long time and are upgrading an old phone to a newer one?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
tomcrom9 . wrote:

Not that I am aware of.  Especially not for the newest iphone.  Unfortunately it seems like the extra.giftcards are for new activations only.

I think Koodo believes the Upgrade benefits to old customers is that we get to keep our older plans which are of better value when compared to the newer ones which are a lot more expensive with a lot higher overage rates
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
tomcrom9 . wrote:

Sometimes Best Buy offers.gift cards to existing customers on phone upgrades.