Koodo Community
Question

Upgrading my ported iPhone

• 12 March 2015
  • 6 replies

I ported my iPhone 4S to Koodo last year so I get a 10% my monthly fee. I want to upgrade my phone now and will be using a tab medium. My question is: what happens to my 10% discount? Do I keep it and only pay the extra $5 per month for the tab? Or do I lose the 10% and also need to pay the extra $5?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You lose the discount if you take the Tab and you need to pay the extra monthly fee.
Userlevel 6
What you gain though, if you want, is paying less up front for the phone you want. If you have the money to buy a new phone at full price you can keep your plan/discounts as is. It really depends on what is better for you right now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You don't "lose" the discount. By taking a tab Koodo will contribute 15% of your monthly plan to pay your phone. See it as as discount also but more as a "long term" discount! Let's say you buy the 5S with a 40$/month plan 275$ + 24*45$ (40$ monthly plan + 5$ tab) = 1355$ (your phone is yours after) 675 + 24*36$ (40$ - 10% BYOD) = 1539$ (same here, but you paid +200$) So bottom line, if you plan staying 2 yrs with Koodo go with the tab! PS : it may depend on the phone too! Just replace the right amount in the maths I did to see what is best for you!
Userlevel 4
If you want to get a phone on a Medium Tab you should pick one up ASAP. Koodo is planning on ending the Tab system in April and instead split the device cost into 24 equal payments. A new plan structure will be released and BYOD discount will be eliminated.
If you want to get a phone on a Medium Tab you should pick one up ASAP. Koodo is planning on endi...Justin, do you know what the new plan structure will be starting in April? Will it be better for me to wait another month to change my phone?
Userlevel 4
If you want to get a phone on a Medium Tab you should pick one up ASAP. Koodo is planning on endi...Nope, but the source that reported the changes stated they should be marginally cheaper, but since you are responsible for the entire device cost it will cost you more over two years. So you are Probley better to upgrade now if you want TAB medium. Tab Large may still exist in some form. You can also keep your plan and 10% discount (you will be grandfathered) and buy your device outright. The 10% BYOD discount is susposed to be eliminated.