Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Upgrade to iPhone 5 issue...more of a roadblock.

I purchased a remanufactured 32GB iPhone 5 that has the A1429 model number. I know that the A1429 model from the factory is not compatible with the Koodo network, however, I was told by the vendor that this remanufactured phone should work on the GSM network. I cut my Koodo SIM card down to nano size and put it in the phone. It received the Koodo 3G network and I was able to make a phone call and access 3G data with it. Can I get it activated on my account and use it on the 4G network?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
You just said you're already using the phone.... " I cut my Koodo SIM card down to nano size and put it in the phone. It received the Koodo 3G network and I was able to make a phone call and access 3G data with it." Do you have another one you want to use or something? Just cut that sim card too and put it in the phone If you want LTE, you have to enable it in the settings under Cellular Data Otherwise, you need to be clear on what you mean when you say "Can I get it activated on my account and use it on the 4G network?" because it already looks like you're using it
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ahmad wrote:

You just said you're already using the phone.... " I cut my Koodo SIM card down to nano size and ...

His iPhone 5 doesn't have the required LTE bands.
Userlevel 7
4g/lte coverage depends on the coverage area. You should purchase a nano sim if your current sim is not lte compatible ( since all nano sims are lte compatible) for $10 on postpaid and $20 on prepaid. Once you have your sim. Log into self serve>swap mobile phone>pick the option that applies>activate new sim and done! EDIT: I'm confused now
Daniel Kim wrote:

4g/lte coverage depends on the coverage area. You should purchase a nano sim if your current sim ...

Okay. My SIM may not be LTE compatible as it was one I bought for my iPhone 3GS. I am well within the 4G/LTE coverage area. LTE was enabled in settings but only seemed to acquire the 3G network. So, buying a Koodo nano SIM should solve this?
Userlevel 7
Daniel Kim wrote:

4g/lte coverage depends on the coverage area. You should purchase a nano sim if your current sim ...

Ok, thanks for the clarification peter! In that case then yes a nano sim should solve the issue 🙂
Daniel Kim wrote:

Thank you. I'm just relieved that the phone works on the network and I don't have to try to exchange it for another one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Daniel Kim wrote:

You phone is either a CDMA-variant from the States or an international GSM variant (both go by A1429). It lacks the required LTE frequency bands to operate on Koodo's LTE network. You're limited to the HSPA (3G) network. A new SIM card will change nothing for that phone so save yourself the $10. It's no big deal really, as the coverage is much better than LTE and the speeds are more than good enough. LTE just chews up your battery quicker and I actually have it disabled on my phones.
Daniel Kim wrote:

You are correct. The SIM changed nothing. 3G service is likely fine, it works well enough for me to stream radio broadcasts but I'd like to have the LTE option available. Thanks for the reply.
Userlevel 7
Daniel Kim wrote:

Considering LTE kills your battery way faster and uses data faster and that 3G does more than a good job of streaming content, I wouldn't use LTE and in fact, I don't.