Koodo Community
Question

Unlimited texting: sending pictures via iMessage ?

• 30 December 2012
  • 9 replies

Hello, I have a Koodo plan with unlimited texting message and pay per usage data plan, and it says that photos in messages are included in the plan (unlimited SMS/MMS). When I try to send a picture, the SMS fails. I turned off data service on the iPhone to avoid unwished data charges. But does it block also sending SMS with pictures?

9 replies

Yes. Sending pictures doesn't use data, but it needs to be on in order for you to send pictures.
Userlevel 2
Data need to be on even sending msg doesnot use data service. Celular Data is the transfer method. It means its using the Cellular Data or Carrier's internet connection to transfer
iMessage uses data to send messages, that's why your SMS's are failing. Somewhere in the settings, you can set it to only use 2G, therefore using your plan. Hope this helps!
iMessage uses data to send messages, that's why your SMS's are failing. Somewhere in the settings...Won't work. Koodo doesn't use 2G.
iMessage uses data to send messages, that's why your SMS's are failing. Somewhere in the settings...I have the same problem! Is there a way to avoid using data, but still having it on to send pictures? I like my new phone but I miss picture messages a crazy amount... especially when I pay for them!
Thanks to all!
I have the same problem! Is there a way to avoid using data, but still having it on to send pictures? I like my new phone but I miss picture messages a crazy amount... especially when I pay for them!
I just switched to koodo and am using an iPhone 7. I have a basic unlimited calling and texting (pictures included) plan. I had turned off my cellular data option to avoid data charges, but from what I am reading from previous posts is: I need to turn on my cellular data option to send and receive photos and I will NOT be charged data charges for this? Am I right? I have talked to a Koodo rep by phone and they kept on saying I needed a data plan to send photos with my iPhone. Then I used the Self-Help assistance which told me I could add Data block with picture message on my account. I went into my account and was surprised that they charge 2$/month for this option! My 25$/month plan includes unlimited texting including pictures... Can someone confirm the underlined information above please? Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi @k_buddy_98 ,

Sending or receiving picture messages requires your mobile data to be on. The actual MMS messages do not cost you anything, and if you had a data plan, they would not count against your monthly amount of data. So, the messages themselves are safe and included in your texting plan.

However, if your phone sends or receives any other data while you have the mobile data turned on to send or receive MMS messages, that data would either deduct from your monthly data amount if you plan had it, or in your case would cost you pay-per-use data fees for whatever amount gets consumed by anything other than MMS messages while you have mobile data turned on. Hopefully this makes sense.

If it's not clear, try thinking of it this way: you're expecting a friend to come over, so you leave your front door unlocked so they can come in to visit. However, while your door is unlocked, anyone that happened to walk up to it and try the knob could walk in as well. Your friend was a wanted guest, while anyone else (likely) would not be. When you turn on your mobile data, you're opening the virtual door to let the MMS in (or out), but other things might come through the door as well, which would cost you.

The $2 data block is designed for exactly your intended use: where you need to be able to leave your mobile data on for MMS messaging but want to be guaranteed you will not be charged for any other data usage. Think of it as a security guard seated outside your front door. When your friend walks up (MMS message comes in or goes out), the guard recognizes them and lets them through; when anyone else walks up to the door (other data uses), the guard will turn them away so they can't invade your home.

Nobody likes spending an extra $2 a month, but knowing that pay-per-use data is very expensive, it's probably a worthwhile trade off to guarantee no surprise bills. Even if you are very careful in how you configure your phone, and very quick about turning the data on and off for MMS messages as needed, there is a good chance some incidental data will slip through. If you pay the security guard the $2 a month, nobody can walk away with the hard-earned cash you have sitting on the kitchen table inside (data bill at the end of the month). Chances are, he's probably worth the cost for the peace of mind.