Koodo Community
Question

Unclear about roaming/data while in UK

• 20 September 2013
  • 9 replies

I've added all the long distance roaming, data add ons required ($2.00 per month) but I am still unclear what to expect. If I connect to Wi-Fi, do I still pay the $5.00 per MB? If I purchase a long distance calling card, do I still pay the $1.50 per minute fee? Leaving in a week, so really need to clear this up.

9 replies

The long distance saver is not a roaming package. Its for those in Canada wanting to call to other countries. Unfortunately Koodo does not have any roaming packages other than United States packages. Best idea is when your in the UK, take out your SIM card and use your phone as a SIM only device. There are texting apps and calling apps (VoIP) apps that allow you to use your device as if it were a full functioning phone
The long distance saver is not a roaming package. Its for those in Canada wanting to call to othe...Does that let me text and call Canada from the UK?
Userlevel 6
The long distance saver is not a roaming package. Its for those in Canada wanting to call to othe...Hi Steven, the $2 International Long Distance Saver doesn't reduce the roaming rates but a customer must add it in order to be able to use his/her phone abroad. ________________________ If you see a good answer, give it a star.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Wifi does not cost anything. To your your phone in the UK you will need to add Int’l Dialing and LD Saver ($2/month) and International Voice Roaming ($0/month) and International Data Roaming ($0/month) The UK is Zone 1 so even if you use a calling card it will cost $1.50/min to use your phone for voice and $5/MB for data and $0.60 per text message (sent and received) You can find details here: http://help.koodomobile.com/coverage-long-distance-and-travelling/Travelling
Wifi does not cost anything. To your your phone in the UK you will need to add Int’l Dialing a...As mentioned, I've added all that. You did answer the question though. Thought I could use a calling card to reduce the charge. Thanks.
Userlevel 4
Wifi does not cost anything. To your your phone in the UK you will need to add Int’l Dialing a...You could use a calling card on the Koodo phone but there are moments where airtime would still be charged. It's pretty random when it happens. I have heard of customer using the calling card exactly as it should be and still get charged roaming. Koodo, unfortunately, does not support the use of calling cards so if that is your choice, I would use a landline to call back to Canada instead of the cell phone. It just avoids any complications when using the card. Wifi use will be just fine if you decide to use Skype or something along those lines.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Wifi does not cost anything. To your your phone in the UK you will need to add Int’l Dialing a...You could call a free 1-800 number while roaming and it is still a roaming charge. The same happens when you use a calling card. Basically the roaming charge is for using their network. Like when a hotel charges you when you use their phone to get an outside line. If it is an option, I would advise unlocking your phone and getting a prepaid SIM in the UK. It would be more cost effective as you would be using a UK number & provider to access their network
Userlevel 6
Wifi does not cost anything. To your your phone in the UK you will need to add Int’l Dialing a...Hi there, using a calling card will always use airtime as it's necessary to call a local or toll free number to be connected to the calling card company. ________________________ If you see a good answer, give it a star.