Koodo Community

Community

Travelling to US with Text & Talk plan but what settings do I use to ensure it works? model iphone 6s

I've travelled to the US twice in the past 3 months and each time, I purchase the talk and text plan. Each time, I am able to send texts, but don't receive them until I am within wifi.

I'm travelling again shortly and want to be sure that my texts are being sent AND received while away. It shows on the sender's phone that their message was successfully sent so there is often frustration between me and the other individual (as they believe I'm getting the messages).

In detail, would someone be so kind to outline exactly what I should have turned on/off in my settings to allow texting, when I'm in the US? As well, how to prevent data roaming (or do they go hand in hand)?

Thanks SO much in advance!

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If your friends are sending you iMessages from their iPhones, you need a data stream to receive them. That is why once you connect to data (Wi-Fi) the messages come through. Your iPhone will send as SMS if data is unavailable.
You can either get a plan that includes data so you can receive their messages, or contact them as ask that they send you messages as SMS while you are travelling, and you Turn off iMessages on your phone as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Your friend needs to have their imessage setttings set to send you a text message when imessage fails
Thanks so much Dennis and David.
As for my phone, under cellular, is it correct that I have Cellular data on but roaming off? Will that still allow transmission of messages without incurring additional data charges?
Clearly I'm very dumb in this area so I appreciate this being spelled out for me!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rebecca wrote:

As for my phone, under cellular, is it correct that I have Cell...

If you have roaming data off, you will not be able to receive iMessages while outside Canada, unless connected to Wi-Fi.
Rebecca wrote:

If I have roaming data on, will I be receiving emails?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rebecca wrote:

yes, you will be able to use cellular data like in Canada.  But roaming data is ridiculously expensive.