Koodo Community
Question

Travelling to Rome

• 20 March 2013
  • 7 replies

Hey, So I bought my iPhone in full from Koodo (no contract) and wanted to know if I can buy I new SIM card to use my phone on the networks in Rome cheaply. Thanks!!

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi there Ashley... If your phone is a Koodo device, it is locked and if you insert another providers' sim it won't work... Make sure you have the necessary add-on for your phone to work in Italy and take a look at the image for rates in Europe...

OK -- thanks! If I don't want to text, call of use data, what do I have to disable on my phone to prevent myself from incurring charges? I'll just use my apps and wifi when available.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'd suggest that you get your phone unlocked. Koodo charges $50. Cellunlocker.net charges 39.99. There's also an eBay listing for US$31: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/APPLE-IPHONE-5-4S-4-3GS-3G-FACTORY-UNLOCK-WITH-IMEI-TELUS-KOODO-LESS-THEN-4-HOUR-/130872833916?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item1e78a0f77c All of these are official, permanent unlocking solutions that do not void your warranty. When you're in Italy, you can go to Wind Italia and get 60 minutes, 60 texts and UNLIMITED internet (full speed up to 2 GB, throttled afterward) for 5 EUROS. That should be more than enough to cover you. Also, you can download the Fongo app and call Canada for free (over the internet). If you choose not to unlock, make sure your data is switched off. Airplane mode turns off WiFi, so that's not an option for you if you want to use your hotel's wireless. So, go to SETTINGS > GENERAL > CELLULAR and make sure your CELLULAR DATA is switched off. While you're at it, your DATA ROAMING toggle should always be off to be on the safe side. If you'd like to get a bit more battery life, switch off ENABLE LTE while you're at it (iPhone 5 only). Hope that helps.
Userlevel 2
I'd suggest that you get your phone unlocked. Koodo charges $50. Cellunlocker.net charges 39.99. ...I've used WIND in Italy on an unlocked device before, it's insanely cheap and the service is pretty typical, you can't go wrong imo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'd suggest that you get your phone unlocked. Koodo charges $50. Cellunlocker.net charges 39.99. ...Same here. The Italian WIND uses the same frequencies as the other carriers (none of that AWS crap we have here) so it's compatible.
I'd suggest that you get your phone unlocked. Koodo charges $50. Cellunlocker.net charges 39.99. ...That's super helpful. I can certainly spring 5 euros for that service!
Userlevel 1
Lkie the others have said, unlock your phone a buy a local sim card. This is my plan when I travel later in the year. You save so much $$$$ buying a local sim.