Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Travelling abroad but keeping the same number while using phone in the other country.

Im going to Ireland for 8 months this fall. I plan on getting an Irish phone number and using my current phone (Iphone4) over there with one of their companies. Will I be able to keep my own number for when I come back? or will the only way to do that be by switching to the seasonal plan and getting a new phone over in Ireland?

6 replies

Userlevel 1
Have a great trip!! Your number here is still active as long as you don't cancel your account. Having said that, make sure your phone is unlocked before you travel and once there, buy a SIM card from a local telphone company and then when you come back home, all you have to do is take out your 'irish sim' and put in your existing Koodo SIM card.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi Leonie, Rather than spending $15 each month, why not port your number to Speakout which will cost you $25 for 12 months... and when you come back, pick another plan with Koodo again and port your number back in. Saves you a lot of money, unless you have a huge Tab to pay off now... and you'd have to pick a then available plan anyway. Just a thought 🙂
Sophia wrote:

Hi Leonie, Rather than spending $15 each month, why not port your number to Speakout which wil...

That sounds like a much better deal - I don't have a Tab to pay off. How would I port my number to Speakout? what is Speakout? I have never even heard of it. Will I still be able to get it back in May tho? (because I'll be back before the 12 months are done) and will that cost me money again to port it back in?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Hi Leonie, Rather than spending $15 each month, why not port your number to Speakout which wil...

Speakout is a flanker brand prepaid provider by Seven Eleven: http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/ They use the Rogers network. It's like a normal mobile provider, except their top up requirement is the best in Canada - as I said $25 for a whole year. You don't need to leave your number with them for the full year though, you can port to them and back to Koodo any time 🙂 It won't cost you anything except the purchase of their SIM card and the $25 top up, that's all. Porting back to Koodo will be free as well. Happy travels!
Sophia wrote:

Awesome. Thanks Sophia!
Userlevel 7
Just so you are aware, either Seasonal Hold or porting out your # to a prepaid provider and porting back when you return involves you losing your plan. You won't be able to get it back.