Koodo Community
Question

Traveling and unlocking issues

I am currently traveling in Asia with my iPhone 4 (32 GB). I switched it over from Telus to Koodo a few months ago, and then I unlocked it through Koodo a few days ago before leaving for my trip. I plugged in my phone and synced it to iTunes, as directed by the operator on the phone. I didn't get an update, but I hoped it had worked. Now that I'm in Asia, I've noticed that my phone won't connect to local networks. It simply says "No Service". At first I thought it was because of my Koodo SIM card, but I just bought a prepaid SIM card from Hong Kong and it's still not working. It still says "No Service" and, with the new SIM card in, the "Carrier" option under settings has completely disappeared (with my Koodo SIM card, it was an option, but no networks came up). Is this a problem with my phone not being unlocked?? Or is it just a problem with my phone? Thanks!

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
With the ne provider's sim card in the phone, got to settings->general->reset and reset network settings.
No dice :(
It still says no service.

Under Settings > General > About, it also still says:
- Network: Not Available
- Carrier: Koodo 16.0

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
it sounds like when you were syncing with itunes that the update to unlock didnt go through. -Maybe Koodo didnt complete the unlock on their end? -One thing that caught my attention was that this is a Telus phone. My understanding was that Koodo could not unlock Telus iPhones?
Sadly, I agree. I just tried putting in my friend's Rogers SIM card and it still says no signal, even though she was able to connect to a local network with it in her own iPhone 4s. So it could also be my phone? I tried using an online registry to see if it's unlocked, but it said that the service is temporarily unavailable. Not sure why. Would I be able to call Koodo to check? Maybe I can get someone back home to call for me. When I switched from Telus to Koodo, they told me that they didn't need to unlock it because they were part of the same network. I think I asked if I would be able to unlock my phone in the future, as I was anticipating this trip back then, and I think they said that I could unlock it at any time. I'm not quite sure anymore though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sadly, I agree. I just tried putting in my friend's Rogers SIM card and it still says no signal, ...Registries are hit and miss. You can go to an Apple store and they can tell you. You can reach Koodo at 647-788-4337. Yes there is no need to unlock when between Telus and Koodo. I am still unsure if Koodo can unlock a Telus iPhone being used on Koodo. I was told no in the past (actually when Koodo looked it up they said it was already unlocked which I knew was not true)
Userlevel 4
Sadly, I agree. I just tried putting in my friend's Rogers SIM card and it still says no signal, ...Koodo cannot unlock phones from ANY provider except Koodo. Just wanted to clear that up.