Koodo Community
Question

Texting internationally problem

Hi.

I have read a bunch of previous posts about this but are still having trouble texting friends in Australia.

I am using an iPhone and my contacts’ Australian number begins with +61 and then their number. This is how it is in my contacts.

She is on the Optus network in Australia, but the weird thing is, my sister in on the same network and IS getting my texts.

I never had an issue on Fido and are new to Koodo. Is there a different prefix I need to use?

btw - I can send texts within Canada and even receive international texts fine.

Please help.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Is the number pattern for your sister the same as your friend?

Is it possible you friend has somehow blocked your number?
Hi.

yes. Sisters number is same format in my contacts.

i didn’t block any number.
Will have to check if she blocked number
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Did you try to send her as sms or imessage? What was the color in the message box? (Blue or green?)
its green, she has an Android phone
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
its green, she has an Android phone
If possible, I would suggest you delete the number in the contact. Then create a new contact with the number only and send text to that one. Also, Could you check your iphone and see if "Send as SMS" is turned on in Settings >> Message?

Btw, can you receive her text?
Yes I can receive her texts.

Yes, I have send as sms activated as well as imessage.

I will try to delete number and go from there.

Will report back.
Hi guys

Just to update, I have officially tried everything to no avail.

I deleted the contact, and tried sending a text directly to number - Still not received.

I tried calling the person to see if my number was somehow blocked and went to voicemail - it didn't.

Other people in Australia are getting my messages, just this one contact is not.

I asked the person to see if my number was blocked - it wasn't.

I have confirmed its the right number, that the prefix is right and that iMessage was off and SMS was being sent. She does not have an iPhone.

It appears my messages are sending but simply not being recieved. I CAN get them from the contact.

Please help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
From your testing, there is a highly chance that she accidentally blocked your text and didn't know about it.

What texting app the other person is using? how did she know that she didn't block yours text?. What test did she try?
She is using the stock android messages app on her Samsung.

i sent her instructions on how to check if she blocked any contacts in the messaging app for her particular device. She said there are no numbers blocked.

???
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
She is using the stock android messages app on her Samsung.

i sent her instructions on how to check if she blocked any contacts in the messaging app for her particular device. She said there are no numbers blocked.

???

Which instruction was it and how did you send her "instruction"? I assumed you are using some 3rd party app?

Could you ask someone else (who is on Koodo/Telus) to send her message and see if she receives it or not?
I found these instructions for her - https://www.samsung.com/au/support/mobile-devices/block-or-unblock-numbers-from-sending-me-a-text-message/

we we are communicating through FB messenger for the meantime.

can anyone help text her for me?