Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Switching SIM cards

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm currently using a nano-SIM, but I also own a micro-SIM that I've used before. I switched the SIM on my line myself via Self Serve. Am I able to go back and forth between these SIMs as much as I like?

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The SIM Card that is not in use has to be activated withing a certain amount of time again (I think 3 months) or you won't be able to switch. Other than that You can switch as much as you want. You can buy an adapter to make your nano in to the lager sizes that would make it easier if your going to be switching phones a fair amount.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

The SIM Card that is not in use has to be activated withing a certain amount of time again (I thi...

Thanks for the reply. I will never use adapters again. Using one broke a contact in the SIM tray for my Huawei Ascend P1. It was three months old. Not covered under warranty. Repairing requires replacing the logic board which is nearly $300. It's a $400 phone. Or rather, it was a $400 phone. Now it's a $400 personal media device. I'd rather pay $10 for a replacement SIM. Though, I suppose I could re-register the old one every two months so it'll never "expire".
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The SIM Card that is not in use has to be activated withing a certain amount of time again (I thi...

How did using the adapter break your SIM Tray?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The adapter hooked on a contact and pulled it out. Now my unlocked pentaband phone won't register on any network.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Man that Sucks.
Userlevel 6

I've always heard/read that once a SIM has been deactivated, it can never be reactivated. I'll try to look up the info on that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can only reuse it on the same account & you have 3 months to reactivate it, after that time then it becomes useless.
Userlevel 6

Just tried with my past SIM card (which I still have) and it won't accept its number in Self-Serve. A brand new one passes OK though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How long ago did you deactivate it? I think I may be wrong on the amount of time, it might be 30 days. I know 100% that it can be done. Timo from Tech support said it on here before. Some carriers don't allow it though.
Userlevel 5

Topper I'll back up Kid that it works. I've got a regular, micro, and nano sim. I'm using the nano now but every month or two I cycle the others onto my account to make sure they stay active.
Userlevel 6

Mine is over a year old, lol! That must be why. I had bought a SIM cutter when I got my Lumia 610, but I found it left dents on the card's outline and well, being a machinist, it got the best of me! I bought a replacement micro SIM and it's the one I'm using right now in all my phones with a full size adapter.
Userlevel 5

Yup that's the reason. 90 days is the limit.
Userlevel 6

However, if it really works like you guys say, then it opens up a whole new world of possibilities for me! A world in which I don't have to dismantle my Otterboxes anymore to get at the SIM. I'd simply take note of the numbers, leave the card(s) in the phone(s) and just switch through Self-Serve! I need to try this out...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That's why. I cut my SIM Card into a micro SIM when I got my Note 2 & just used a pair of sharp barber scissors & it worked great. I can see how those SIM cutters could leave a sharp edge & ya I would use that in my phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Still a good Idea to take off your case every now and then and give your phone a wipe down with a microfiber cloth. Dirt/dust gets under the case & can scratch your phone over time. I've noticed it even with the otter box defenders but not much dirt/dust gets in them since they have alot less openings to get in to.
Userlevel 6

Have no worries Kid, my phone shrine is alive and well. Every device has a spot for itself on a nice felt covering with dedicated chargers, microfiber cloths and replacement matte screen protectors every week..... LOL, seriously though, yeah, I take great care of my devices and clean 'em out at least once a week, out of their case and everything. That must be why I was always successful selling them down the road!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You sound like you treat your devices exactly like me, glad to know I'm not the only one that treats my phones & tablets like they are my first born child lol
Userlevel 6

Well, our phones have basically become an extension of ourselves, so let's call this "extended personal hygiene" lol!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hehe, I don't keep my devices long enough to have to take any special care. I just don't throw them around and keep nothing else in my front pocket. Most of my devices go naked as well and I don't scratch them. I don't like the added bulk and I don't work in a place where I need protection from equipment/dirt/grease/etc. so I'm good.
Userlevel 6

I'm a machinist, so case/screen protection is mandatory! I also keep it in an otherwise empty pocket to avoid contact with keys and coins. But I'm kind of a protection freak, even if I keep a device for a month, I'll get everything under the sun to protect it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

Lol i had to share. i lost my full sized sim and only had he one i used in my lumia so I trans...

lol nice, That's awesome Chad or should I say Mcgyver lol.
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

Lol i had to share. i lost my full sized sim and only had he one i used in my lumia so I trans...

Oops gave out my sim number
yest but it wont be easy for u to do because Nano sims are smaller than microsims. check out here for free sims:https://freesim.vodafone.co.uk/
Userlevel 7
Arlie Magnussen wrote:

yest but it wont be easy for u to do because Nano sims are smaller than microsims. check out here...

You realize that Vodafone is a UK cell phone carrier? LOL
Arlie Magnussen wrote:

yest but it wont be easy for u to do because Nano sims are smaller than microsims. check out here...

oops! silly me. you're a bright button Ahmad!