Koodo Community
Solved

Switching from Samsung back to iPhone

Userlevel 1

Hi everyone..

I've had a LOT of frustrating problems with my Samsung S10+ and thinking of returning to iPhone. It's been awhile since I've had one, and am looking at the XR right now. Couple of questions.. my S10 is fairly new, is it possible to trade it in?.. and, is the sim card interchangeable by any chance!?!! cause I’d sure like to keep all the info that I’ve accumulated!:thinking:

Thanks for any help! (sorry if this post is duplicated!)

icon

Best answer by Goran 1 July 2020, 19:18

Outta curiosity, what are some of the problems that you’ve been having? It’s possible that you’ve got a lemon and might be able to do something about it. Is it mainly the data example that you mentioned? It’s not uncommon for background apps and the OS itself to use data. Ios also known to do it, perhaps to a lesser extent. What’s your data limit? 36MB over 2 days really isn’t much data at all in 2020. Smartphones are far more data itnensive than they were even 3 years ago.

Nano sim cards are fairly universal at this point. I think that it started with iphone 5. Your sim would definitely fit in a newer iphone.

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can trade it in, but you won't get nearly what the phone is worth. You're better off selling it on your own.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

how long have you had it?  Is it past the 15 day return period?

Userlevel 1

Timo, I haven’t had a drink in awhile, but am sure planning to! :ok_hand: Thanks for the reminder!!

Dennis, oh yeah, afraid it’s past the 15 days! I’ve had it now for a few months, went from an A5 to this horrible S10+… big mistake! :confounded:

Thanks for replying, I appreciate it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Timo, I haven’t had a drink in awhile, but am sure planning to! :ok_hand: Thanks for the reminder!!

Dennis, oh yeah, afraid it’s past the 15 days! I’ve had it now for a few months, went from an A5 to this horrible S10+… big mistake! :confounded:

Thanks for replying, I appreciate it!

In that case Timo is right.  Just sell the phone privately and get the phone you want.

Note the phone credit if you upgrade on another tab

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/phone-credit

And yes the sim  can be put into the iphone and it will just work

Userlevel 1

Dennis,  I’m not sure I understand what I read on this phone credit program, but I’m not thinking of going the tab route, so I guess it doesn’t apply.  Great news about the sim card tho, that will help a lot!! Thanks so much!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Don't bother trying to trading in the phone and just sell it on Craigslist or Kijiji

Userlevel 1

Actually, don’t think I can trade OR sell it.. not everything is going to Cloud for some reason!

I have other questions if I may bother you guys some more..

I have a couple of old iPhones, a 4 & 5, and the sim cards are not compatible! This makes me nervous about whether the Samsung S10 would fit into a new iPhone!  Is there something I don’t know about new phones?

As I’ve mentioned I’ve had previous problems with this S10, but the latest is outrageous!  My billing/data cycle ends on the 28th each month. On the 29th (only TWO days ago!!) the data is going haywire.. it just keeps climbing.. all by itself.  This morning it’s at 36.30MB! Other than checking the weather once, I have NOT used it!!! I talked to support Monday, again on Tuesday.  They could not help me with this problem. I guess my main question is.. would this be a Koodo OR Samsung problem I’m having? Koodo, of course, says Samsung.

OMGod I’m confused!!:worried:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Outta curiosity, what are some of the problems that you’ve been having? It’s possible that you’ve got a lemon and might be able to do something about it. Is it mainly the data example that you mentioned? It’s not uncommon for background apps and the OS itself to use data. Ios also known to do it, perhaps to a lesser extent. What’s your data limit? 36MB over 2 days really isn’t much data at all in 2020. Smartphones are far more data itnensive than they were even 3 years ago.

Nano sim cards are fairly universal at this point. I think that it started with iphone 5. Your sim would definitely fit in a newer iphone.

Userlevel 1

I have a 5GB data limit. Not much in todays world I know, but I don’t use my phone to go online all that much. I very rarely go over the 5!  Anything I consider data-heavy, I use the computer (73 years old is my excuse!), and with this phone, stress & frustration are my middle names!  My data is at 45.60 now, and climbing!!!

Online in my Koodo (computer) account the amount is accurate, and they assure me I will not be billed according to my phone!  I’ve tried getting to Samsung Members on the computer to ask them about this, but can’t seem to get there from here.  With the phone doing this I’m hesitating about using it to contact the members, who have always been (as here), most helpful.

My other problems were mostly caused by the updates if I recall, and have learned to live, and hate them.. things I did not want changed, things taken away. Oh, many. Sorry, been there, done that, can’t go thru it again.

Actually, don’t think I can trade OR sell it.. not everything is going to Cloud for some reason!

I have a couple of old iPhones, a 4 & 5, and the sim cards are not compatible! This makes me nervous about whether the Samsung S10 would fit into a new iPhone!  Is there something I don’t know about new phones?

As I’ve mentioned I’ve had previous problems with this S10, but the latest is outrageous!  My billing/data cycle ends on the 28th each month. On the 29th (only TWO days ago!!) the data is going haywire.. it just keeps climbing.. all by itself.  This morning it’s at 36.30MB! Other than checking the weather once, I have NOT used it!!! I talked to support Monday, again on Tuesday.  They could not help me with this problem. I guess my main question is.. would this be a Koodo OR Samsung problem I’m having? Koodo, of course, says Samsung.

It’s neither! 
The issue that Samsung phones along with the majority of other cell phone manufacturers have is Not so much the actual hardware but rather the operating system (OS)) That they employ to make everything on their handsets work.  The biggest issue with the OS of these handsets is the very liberal permissions they allow app developers to have with the type and volume of data that these apps are relaying about you back to the companies that make them.  With the ever increasing abilities and therefore types of data that handset possess and the things these developers  are able to distill from the various sensors and  the actual inputs you make yourself while using these apps,  they are able to acquire a treasure trove of data on you for their own use as well as this data being something  that can also be sold on to other companies that very much covert and seek it out as a valuable and indispensable tool to  be used In order to precisely target you using  highly sophisticated algorithms and powerful AI to deliver the most relevant (based on your perceived interests, delivered to you in the most timely way possible (based on the current live activity of your interactions with your handset, most opportune period (based on Personal spending habits and the assumptions they can  glean from thatt like how much you earn, And when your paydays fall)  in order to deliver an add specifically to your eyes at the precise moment that will give them the best possible chance for them to make a sale…  very few ads that reach you on your handset are getting to you in a random way,  say like the way a flyer might, but rather reach you specifically using the data that your cell phone is continually leaking about you to best target their sales efforts. In the most effective way possible with the highest probability of success. Often it’s done over a period of time to be able to slowly Persuade you and ultimately convince Zhou that this is something that you reallty not only desire but actually need. 
Free apps? No such thing! Those Cute fun free apps are highly sophisticated tool designed to do two things. To keep you interested and entertained and engaged with it while  it silently in the background extracts every bit of data on you possible.  They use your GPS  to aquire not only your current location but actually map out your daily route and patterns of movement And  at what time of day those occurs They monitor other elements to Track your level of activity using the gyros, barometric pressure, vibration and other sensors, all used for common free health apps..  Other data that may possibly be employed are your photographs, texts, emails and some say even your actual voice calls and even just the conversation occurring around your handset (remember those  permissions you granted without a second thought to get that app  that gave the app access the microphone, camera, location etc to gain access to those free apps?

its not you using all that data  it’s not that there is something not functioning correctly or wrong with your hardware. It’s all of those free apps constantly and relentlessly relaying every bit of data they can aquire from you. Each little nugget on its own having little or no real value.  It’s only once you start to feed all of it together into a powerful AI to create and build up a profile on you that’s so complete as to be far beyond what you are even likely to know about yourself and then to have it apply the purpose designed algorithms to best achieve the desired goals . You know, those goals that keep the 0.01% in possession of fully one half of the wealth on the planet and growing…  it’s all carefully crafted and precise science and not good luck and random chance that keeps them in that position. Löl

Apple being the one company that has seen the very problematic issues of privacy concerns, that have been pu licly stated and evident long ago had started to become aware of the ever increasing data acquisition that app developers have sought to gain from their Users because of their ongoing attention to privacy concerns have doubled down to make it one of the highest priorities, indeed if not actually  one of the highest primary goals of  the company,  to step in,in order to help protect their customers from this total flood of data that now leaks from the average  smartphone with only the slightest hint of it happening if it’s ever even noticed at all by the owners of these handsets 24/7/36 days a year, non stop. This indeed does set them aüpart from all of their competition and has subsequently driven their sales up admittedly but it’s can be seen as a positive customer feedback to providing what the customer sees as more desirable. 

This Mission to help protect the privacy of their customers (something that has always been noteworthy about Apple Products, and is now strongly evidenced by the fact that currently iPhones typically passively leak less than one tenth the data of any other handset on the market…  In addition Apple has designed numerous user controls (With even more future available controls promised to be rolled out over time)  to allow the user to directly manage what data  they are okay with and what not okay with sharing. something that is not offered tin any degree that even compares to what a user can control using iOS. All of this control being very much to the dismay of the majority of app developers that offer apps within the tightly controlled iOS operating environment…

The primary reason that the other manufacturers are unlikely ever going to be able to address this issue is the fact that you have multiple handsets made by numerous  companies and the OS Must remain flexible enough to be able to work across such a plethora of various different platforms. Yes very true there is more freedom of choice but with that a much increased cost due to numerous increased incompatibilities caused by a one size fits all OS and THE wild Wild West lack of controls required to allow that OS to be a reasonable fit for them all.  It’s very problematic indeed. 

That is the long and the long of it... 

My apologies for this hugely long winded explanation and horrible, never ending, run on sentences, but I thought you might actually like to know the real reason your handset is likely burning through your limited data  so quickly.. 

Userlevel 1

I didn’t mind the length, just that it’s all very scary!!

I always say NO when asked to allow them access to my phone, but perhaps I have too many apps and should start the delete process going….. but, this is the first time ever, in quite a few years using Samsung phones, that it has done this to me. Don’t know if I want to wait for next month to see if it’s a continuing thing!! My data usage on the Koodo site, on my computer, is accurate, and they assure me that that is all that will be charged to me, however, on my phone it’s at 48.01 mb right now and it won’t stop climbing!! It’s telling me I have a new update due, and was told I should keep all up-to-date, but, am not feeling it right now to be honest.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The sim in your S10 will fit in a new iphone.  The iPhone 4 is 10 years old and used a much larger sim card.

I didn’t mind the length, just that it’s all very scary!!

I always say NO when asked to allow them access to my phone, but perhaps I have too many apps and should start the delete process going….. but, this is the first time ever, in quite a few years using Samsung phones, that it has done this to me. Don’t know if I want to wait for next month to see if it’s a continuing thing!! My data usage on the Koodo site, on my computer, is accurate, and they assure me that that is all that will be charged to me, however, on my phone it’s at 48.01 mb right now and it won’t stop climbing!! It’s telling me I have a new update due, and was told I should keep all up-to-date, but, am not feeling it right now to be honest.

I personally never update unless something is broken.  Why fix whats not broken right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There are 2 logs of data on many phones, one for cellular data, and one for wi-fi. Might you be looking at the wi-fi log, if the data usage is different between that reported by your phone, and that reported by Koodo? Also make sure your data reporting dates are aligned between the phone and your account - it is not automated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Also, if you have 5GB on your plan and your data usage of 3days were 48mb, then your usage is not that bad.

Even if you used 150mb per day, it will be 4.5gb for one month usage.

You have WIFI on all the time?  You can set up data limit warning on your phone too. 
And you have a plan with SFD, they don’t charge you for data usage unless you buy an extra.

Give another week or two and see how much data you are going through , then we can check your phone setting too…? 

Userlevel 1

I appreciate all the help and suggestions,, I’ll try and answer those that I remember!!

I don’t have wi-fi, I live in the country and it is not available to me.

A couple of the problems I’ve had in the past were caused by up-dates.. for one thing, it removed a few of the apps, a couple being Samsung apps!! and the stickers & gifs that were always in the calendar were removed, go figure! I downloaded them again, then found that they removed them again!

As for the sim card.. I looked up some iPhones, and it says they are nano-sim & micro sim, and not compatible with other phones! So, what do I know.. that’s what it said.