Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Sudden unexplained increase in data usage!!!

Sudden 20.00MB data usage incurred multiple times in one day!! Using iPhone 6, have not changed anything on phone (including usage which is normally about 300MB per month). Software is up to date. Koodo problem?

7 replies

Badge +4
There's a similar article, (I'll post the link below) and the workaround or band-aid solution was to disable mobile data when not needed. The one thing that does stand out is that in the one posters' screenshot of their bill, the portions of data used, (20.00 MB worth) doesn't appear to be chargeable and shows a $0.00 amount. I do see one charge for .11 cents. Scroll down to see Supersonicclank's bill and charges. http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/being-charged-for-data-usage-while-connected-to-wifi
Userlevel 4
My suggestion also would be to go into your settings and set everything to not auto sync like email, updates to apps and so on. when your on wifi this stuff will use it but when only on your mobile data this can add up.
Thanks for your suggestions but I find it odd that I should have to change my settings when up until yesterday my data usage was low and reasonable. Like I mentioned, I normally only use 300MB per month. Last night I randomly checked my usage on self serve and it was 150MB for just the one day. When I looked up the details, it showed three 20.00MB charges (although not really charges yet as I am only a few days into my billing cycle and still have data left) in the same minute!! The phone was in my pocket at that time as I was in a meeting. What is also strange is that my data history does not have any other round numbers like 20.00MB, tends to be more like 10.71MB or 2.54MB.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Laurel wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions but I find it odd that I should have to change my settings when up un...

You may have an app that started updating. See if you can pin point the app Settings>Cellular
Userlevel 4
Laurel wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions but I find it odd that I should have to change my settings when up un...

Have you download any apps lately? They maybe running in the background and don't know it. Unfortantly it all adds up. Make sure u also don't have your hot spot turned on as anyone can hope on it if no password is set. The only other suggestion is shut your data right off and just run off of wifi and see what happens. There's def something running there it's just finding it
umm I have a similar problem I am 2 into my billing cycle and I have been using wifi the whole time and my data is already at 92.3 and This phone is about a month old. PLEASE HELP!!! I am using T-mobile and an LG LEON LTE
Userlevel 3
James Carlson wrote:

umm I have a similar problem I am 2 into my billing cycle and I have been using wifi the whole ti...

This is a koodo forum (cell phone company) in Canada and they don't carry your phone, so help maybe difficult to get here. That said something likely is running in the background that's chewing up your data. Apps or something. Also if you wonder away from your wi-fi the network will pick up. Turn your data off while you are browsing in wi-fi to avoid surprises.