Koodo Community
Solved

Sudden Excessive Data Usage

• 11 March 2020
  • 5 replies

Only a couple days into my current billing cycle, I took my phone out to scroll on Instagram using cellular data and I got a text message saying that I had used 50% of my cellular data (I have 4G). I thought that was weird but didn’t pay much attention.  Two minutes later, I got another text saying I had used 90% of my cellular data. I realized then that I was only 2 days into the cycle and that there was no way I had used almost 4G of data in 2 days, let alone almost 2G in a matter of 2 minutes of scrolling through instagram. 

I turned off cellular data and am now trying to figure out what the heck happened, as I’m concerned that it will happen again next cycle. I’ve attached a screen shot of my data usage this cycle, and it shows an excessive amount of use in a very short amount of time. Is there anyway of telling what apps could have somehow used that much data without my knowing?  I don’t watch movies or anything on my phone, the only videos I ever watch are occasional short clips on social media. 

I should add the most data I’ve ever used in an entire day is a few hundred MB, never over 1G in a day. I have an iPhone 6s.

icon

Best answer by Dennis 11 March 2020, 21:17

Go to Settings>Cellular and scroll down,

Here you can see which app is using how much data.  If you can pin point the app you can check it’s settings to stop what it is doing

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That is excessive. What phone do you have? If an android look into your data usage stats in settings and see what app is the culprit. It's possible that it's a glitch as that is a lot of data for thst short amount of time but let's first look to what's most likely and see if it's the problem or can be eliminated.

That is excessive. What phone do you have? If an android look into your data usage stats in settings and see what app is the culprit. It's possible that it's a glitch as that is a lot of data for thst short amount of time but let's first look to what's most likely and see if it's the problem or can be eliminated.

I have an iPhone 6s.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Go to Settings>Cellular and scroll down,

Here you can see which app is using how much data.  If you can pin point the app you can check it’s settings to stop what it is doing

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

2 hours of video streaming might give out excessive usages like this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Did you accidentally turn off your wifi? Check and make sure it's on. Also check to be sure things like wifi assist are off.