Koodo Community

Community

Simple SIM Swap for new phone?

I just bought a new iPhone 8 Plus. Can I simple take my SIM from my current iPhone 6 (Carrier is Koodo) and use it in the 8 Plus? Do I need to contact Koodo or can I just do the swap myself?

7 replies

You can just swap them out, I just did the same thing
Userlevel 1
Ofcourse not. Just swap the sil and you should be good to go. No need to contacy Koodo
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
And, a backup of your iPhone 6 with a subsequent restore to your iPhone 8 will bring all your current apps, passwords, etc across. I prefer iTunes for this to using iCloud backups, but either can work.
I'll write my question in this thread, since it's a similar question re: SIM cards.

I have bought a new phone and want to transfer my SIM card & keep my old phone number to the new phone, and give my older phone to somebody else.  However, my old phone has a micro SIM card while the newer phone has a nano SIM card.   I tried logging into self serve to do the swapping  and it pops that this feature is no longer available on the website.

I remember doing the card swapping via self serve was free of charge  while it cost something doing it over the phone -- is this still the case?   I don't want to pay for something I can do by myself via self serve.  I'm seeing videos of cutting down a micro SIM card  to a nano sized card, but it seems a bit extreme, and there's probably a proper way of  doing the transfer.

What is the easiest way to do the card / phone number swapping  without having to deal with needless fees ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Geas0021 wrote:

I'll write my question in this thread, since it's a similar question re: SIM cards.

I have bough...

The fee for completing a SIM swap is $0.00. Koodo removed it from the website due to misuse by some number of individuals.
Geas0021 wrote:

I have bough...

I called at customer service  and I'm being told beforehand before being transferred to somebody that a $ 10 service charge will be added to my next bill, I hung up. Going straight up to the kiosk on Black Friday weekend  is not the best timing.

Do we know if it's a permanent removal on the website or only temporary ? 
Userlevel 7
Geas0021 wrote:

I have bough...

The voice says you MAY be charged to do it but since you can't do the swap yourself, you won't be charged.