Koodo Community
Question

Should I look for another service provider tied of being charged extra by Koodo specially anytime minutes

Userlevel 2
All is well except even when I have Unlimited Canada calling and after analyzing my bill I realized Koodo is even charging me for calling on WhatsApp's numbers using Whatsapp. I used The Wind for several years but since I joined Koodo I bills have been close to 100 or above. Seriously, not sure why I should pay this much, I have $55 plan and I am paying roughly $15 even when I have $3 add-on for long distance. I will attach my bills and plan I think the only option is to attached picture and not excel.

20 replies

Userlevel 2
Yes, thanks, I do know about the $3, $.50 etc. Real pain is duplication and I have no idea. I am ...Too expensive
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes, thanks, I do know about the $3, $.50 etc. Real pain is duplication and I have no idea. I am ...It says 4 minutes on your phone , but it says 6 minutes on the Koodo's usage...

Your phone start counting your time/minutes as soon as your connection get through.(When other person or voice mail picked up)

But Koodo(or any mobile carriers) start counting time as soon as you finish dialing the number. When you call someone and if it took 40 second to the person pick up your phone, then 40 second plus your actual talk time will be charged.
Also your talk time rounded up to closest minutes. Like 3 min 10 sec call = 4 min.

So your 6 min charged instead of 4 min is : time to connected to network + actual talk time + rounded to next minutes
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes, thanks, I do know about the $3, $.50 etc. Real pain is duplication and I have no idea. I am ...If it's on the bill it typically means connection was made, even if it's just a millisecond, before the call was cancelled.  
Userlevel 2
Yes, thanks, I do know about the $3, $.50 etc. Real pain is duplication and I have no idea. I am ...Thanks, Bernard, what about the difference in minutes on my phone call log and the ones charged on my Koodo bill. I have never seen this variance in bills, if this some new policy you may have? Specially, one of the call I pulled random was not even a call and it was a cancelled call still I was charged.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes, thanks, I do know about the $3, $.50 etc. Real pain is duplication and I have no idea. I am ...Hmmm.....looking at your account and see the international calls. I don't have all the info so I can only hypothesize at this point. I do have Whatsapp and Viber as well. I use them regularly for overseas calls. As it was stated above both of these apps use data to transmit a call. Very little mind you. Still if I want to avoid any use of my data buckets or extra charges I use them only via wi-fi. Never had any problems apart from the occasional dropped call.  Since your calls show up on our network (I see who, where and what time you called) my suspicion is that the calls are not connected through Whatsapp for some reason. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes, thanks, I do know about the $3, $.50 etc. Real pain is duplication and I have no idea. I am ...If I recall, outgoing calls are (or were) billed from when the phone connected to the network, while incoming calls are billed from the time answered. Alternately, you may be billed for time once the Canadian network passes off to the one in the destination country.  Hopefully someone with more experience with this will jump in.

Your phone may record these calls timeline slightly differently than the network, which could push it a few seconds across a minute mark.
Userlevel 2
Yes, thanks, I do know about the $3, $.50 etc. Real pain is duplication and I have no idea. I am ...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes, thanks, I do know about the $3, $.50 etc. Real pain is duplication and I have no idea. I am ...What's in your outgoing call log on your phone?
Userlevel 2
Yes, thanks, I do know about the $3, $.50 etc. Real pain is duplication and I have no idea. I am not saying I never call outside WhatsApp's but the duplicates in few seconds to the same number that is very unusual and I don't do such. I do very short calls to reach someone and say hey receive on WhatsApp's.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
 "$3 add-on for long distance" give you a reduced rate for your International Long Distance.
Example: Call USA with pay-per-use : $0.50/min
With International Long Distance Saver : $0.05/min

If you need to call US, then they have US Unlimited for $10/mo.  This might be better for you.

It's still puzzling why there is repeated calls to the same number within minutes...

I'm using Messenger calling and it never got charged for it.(It never used my minutes)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I have never called via What's app so I don't know how it works. But because those calls use data, they shouldn't even appear on your bill. It seems like you're being charged 0.05$ a minute which is the cost of the price with the 3$ add-on you have. So, are you sure you're making those calls via What's App?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
1) I see ~12$ I was charged $16 2) True-False is just excel formula to identify same numbers. Let's see what others may offer.

Userlevel 2
1) I see ~12$ I was charged $16 2) True-False is just excel formula to identify same numbers. Most of the number I do know not a problem with numbers, I dial Whatsapp often, it is just that if you notice many calls are bring charged at the same time that is what is a problem seems duplicated records. And those are costing me extra in bills.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
1) I see ~12$ I was charged $16 2) True-False is just excel formula to identify same numbers. Do you recognize all the numbers? None appear to be Canadian numbers. 
Are you dialing from within the WhatsApp dialer, or from your contacts?

Userlevel 2
1) I see ~12$ I was charged $16 2) True-False is just excel formula to identify same numbers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
What does your long form PDF bill from Koodo state for calls?

WhatsApp uses data, and Koodo should have no idea of what calls you make.