Koodo Community
Question

sending picture texts via iPhone 7 without a data plan

• 11 September 2019
  • 4 replies

I just switched to koodo and am using an iPhone 7. I have a basic unlimited calling and texting (pictures included) plan. I had turned off my cellular data option to avoid data charges, but from what I am reading from previous posts is: I need to turn on my cellular data option to send and receive photos and I will NOT be charged data charges for this? Am I right? I have talked to a Koodo rep by phone and they kept on saying I needed a data plan to send photos with my iPhone. Then I used the Self-Help assistance which told me I could add Data block with picture message on my account. I went into my account and was surprised that they charge 2$/month for this option! My old carrier, Virgin Mobile, allowed me to send picture texts with my unlimited texting plan, no extra charges. My 25$/month plan includes unlimited texting including pictures... Can someone confirm the underlined information above please? Thanks!

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes you need to grab the $2 a month addon to block all data except your photos if you don't want the possibility to have the phone use any data for anything else.
You shouldn't be charge for data... I think the data for mms passes thru a specified apn that way they will know not to charge you for data.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You shouldn't be charge for data... I think the data for mms passes thru a specified apn that way they will know not to charge you for data.
If you don't have the data block to just allow picture messages mms through then your phone can use all data and its chargable so it's highly recommended that you add the add-on or you will have apps update in the background and such taking data that is indeed going to cost you money and definitely more than the $2 for the add-on to protect you
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you are savy enough, you can edit your APN so that data has a dummy apn address (i just add an X at the end) so data wont work but MMS does work.