Koodo Community
Question

Roaming charges

Okay getting tired of getting extra billing charges. I now just got my bill Account # ??????? showing roaming charges for 6 days my phone was never used for message or text as you can see on the bill. Shows charges in am when \I was sleeping, phone was on airplane mod all the time I was in the resort which had WiFi. Why the charge?? would like to talk to a live person and NOT the digital chat you have. NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER. The $12/day is only if I

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
hi,
It was tough to read what the charge and what the issue were.

Were you charged because you brought your phone to another country? what was the amount? and what was the reason for it (what did Koodo say in the bill?). You could check the detail in your PDF bill. Page 3,4 of it normally have the detail.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you do not wish to incur such charges can shut off the option to roam by removing the add-ons that enable that feature within self-serve.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Stuff like data can be used at any moment even if you aren't using your phone. As well if the wifi you were using had a distruption, that would cause you to use data or if you have a feature like wifi assist on, when the signal gets low itll switch to a data connection.
  • Dinh
  • Mobile Master
  • 3800 replies
I was not using the phone but had it with me in Mexico for emergency. This is copy from my bill
DATE NUMBER AND PLACE YOU CALLED WHERE YOU CALLED FROM MINS: SECS LOCAL AIRTIME RATE ($/MIN) LOCAL AIRTIME CHARGE ($) LONG DISTANCE CHARGE ($) OTHER CHARGE ($) TOTAL ($) Call charges 1 Mon Jan 7 10:30 pm 99999 ROAM/VOY 1:00 - - - 12.00 12.00
2 Tue Jan 8 11:26 pm 99999 ROAM/VOY 1:00 - - - 12.00 12.00
3 Thu Jan 10 12:27 am 99999 ROAM/VOY 1:00 - - - 12.00 12.00
4 Fri Jan 11 01:34 am 99999 ROAM/VOY 1:00 - - - 12.00 12.00
5 Sat Jan 12 02:06 am 99999 ROAM/VOY 1:00 - - - 12.00 12.00
6 Sun Jan 13 02:25 am 99999 ROAM/VOY 1:00 - - - 12.00 12.00
My bill shows NO calls or text messages. on those dates.
My understanding is you don't get charges until you use the phone then for 24hrs.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Those are the marker on the bill to show you when the easyroam started. You should be able to see more in the pdf bill details

You mentioned that you kept the phone in airplane mode all the time? did you ever turn airplane mode off and use iMessage. iMessage sometime sent some text to apple server to activate it, that would cause easyroam problem.

To dispute any charge, you need to contact Koodo directly. I would suggest you contact them via facebook messaging https://www.facebook.com/Koodo
That is the info off the PDF bill that I downloaded gives very little info. As I said if I had used iMessage it would have shown on those dates. It does show messages after Jan 13 when I returned to Canada. In regards to contacting facebook messaging https://www.facebook.com/Koodo I have done earlier still waiting a reply.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
As well, I believe the bill shows the times relative to your home location and not to where you were travelling to. So if you're from Ontario and traveled to Mexico then the time instead of 10:30pm wouldve been 9:30pm for example.
Userlevel 2
Were they data charges you incurred? If yes, we had a similar situation last year. Turns out that just because you are connected to wi-fi, if the signal is weak, all phones will try to connect to a network. If you had it on airplane mode it would be impossible.
ZetaAbramovic wrote:

Were they data charges you incurred? If yes, we had a similar situation last year. Turns out that just because you are connected to wi-fi, if the signal is weak, all phones will try to connect to a network. If you had it on airplane mode it would be impossible.

That's why it's a good idea to put the phone in airplane mode and then turn on WiFi.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mats wrote:

ZetaAbramovic wrote:

That's why it's a good idea to put the phone in airplane mode and then turn on WiFi.

Or just take out the sim!

Data leakage can be tricky. Turning the phone off or rebooting it may also incur data leakage.
There are so many ways for data leakage to happen