Koodo Community
Solved

roaming

• 4 March 2019
  • 5 replies

Why do I get a notification saying someone on my account is roaming on a USA network when I was no closer than 5 KM from the US border.
icon

Best answer by Goran 4 March 2019, 01:05

It's likely that within that distance you connected to an American tower. To ensure you don't incur roaming charges I'd suggest manually setting Koodo as your network in carrier from settings , and turn off automatic selection. A list will populate within a minute or so and you can pick Koodo. So long as Koodo is detectable, it will not connect to another network.
View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It's likely that within that distance you connected to an American tower. To ensure you don't incur roaming charges I'd suggest manually setting Koodo as your network in carrier from settings , and turn off automatic selection. A list will populate within a minute or so and you can pick Koodo. So long as Koodo is detectable, it will not connect to another network.
will do, thanks

Thank you for your answer that makes sense as I live in Victoria BC so pretty close to US on Dallas rd 

my question is a bit different though

why would an App (Flipp) as me to turn on roaming when I was in a store? Does roaming help an App in some way? 

I forgot to turn off roaming and then got the roaming charge warning when I was driving to James bay. 

And so, how do I know if I will be charged for roaming?  From store to James bay aprox 45 minutes) 

No costs are showing in my account as of today. 

I asked for a call back. First one I waited 30 minister’s first the call back. I pressed 1 then it rang rang rang for about 15minutes and it hung up on me. 

I called back. 60 minutes on hold ring ring ring and eventually it hung up again. 

terrible customer service. 

Badge +4

@Neelaonly In future, it’s best to create a new topic as this topic is a year old.

Create New Post

Roaming allows you to use your phone outside of Koodo’s network coverage area, (e.g. in the U.S.). The Flipp app uses precise location, (GPS and network-based). Since you live close to the U.S. border, it’s possible your phone inadvertently connected with a U.S. cell tower and is likely why you saw the roaming alert.

If you see a pay-per-use roaming charge on your bill, politely dispute the charge explaining your situation in full. Send a private message to Koodo’s Facebook page, (link below). No guarantees, but a rep may show leniency and waive the charge this one time.

https://www.facebook.com/Koodo

The steps @Goran has provided will prevent your phone from inadvertently roaming on U.S. cellular networks and incurring roaming charges. Also, turn off data roaming (if applicable). Roaming is used when you travel. So, no, roaming does not help your app.

Thank you.  I will do that. 

FYI.  I eventually got through to Kodoo but I had to leave my other cell # for the call back. The Kodoo # does not allow me to connect with Kodoo. Go figure. 

they are looking into why.