Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Retailer cuts regular SIM to nano size

Recently I activated a new iPhone 6 at a Koodo retailer.  Instead of using a nano SIM the retailer just took a regular Koodo SIM and cut it down to nano size.  I did not think much of it until I read that the thickness of nano SIM is less than that of regular SIM, and may damage the SIM contacts.

I am worried that if I ever switch to a "real" nano SIM (e.g., swtich to prepaid) and the contacts to the SIM is damaged.

Anyone has experienced that?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No they are not different thicknesses they are the same because actually Koodo sells one SIM Card that can fit all sizes depending what perforated section you pop out. Where did you read that they are different thicknesses?
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

No they are not different thicknesses they are the same because actually Koodo sells one SIM Card...

If the retailer used one of those I wouldn't be of concern.  However the retailer used the mini SIM and cut it to nano sim using a cutter.

mini and micro SIMs are 0.76mm while nano SIMs are 0.67mm per ETSI spec.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Which retailer did this?

If you get a new iphone from Koodo, it should come with a nano sim card for free
Userlevel 7
Dennis wrote:

Which retailer did this?

If you get a new iphone from Koodo, it should come with a nano sim card...

Pretty sure Koodo changed the policy. Sim cards are no longer free on upgrade
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Which retailer did this?

It's free when I try to upgrade via the online store.  I cant find any mention if it is free or the cost on the koodo website anywhere

Userlevel 7
Dennis wrote:

Which retailer did this?

That must have changed back recently Denis, the past couple of times I went to buy online it automatically added a new SIM for 5$
Userlevel 5
Dennis wrote:

Which retailer did this?

Are you attempting to purchase the 6P while logged into your self-serve account? I just tried now, and the SIM card is showing up as being $5. We indeed do not give the SIM cards for free with upgrades anymore.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Which retailer did this?

Yes I logged in to my account when I check out.  Here I will expand my screen shot

Dennis wrote:

Which retailer did this?

Got it from a retailer - took a new mini SIM and cut it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I've never damaged anything with cut SIM cards.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The only potential issue is a sim stamp cutter that potentially leaves jagged cuts that you just file or sand clean and you won't have any issues.