Koodo Community



Reinstating & Upgrading

Cancelled service would now like to reinstate service with upgraded plan.?

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can call customer service or visit your local kiosk and they'll be able to get you an account opened with Koodo but if your account has been closed for more than 90 days you'll need to purchase a new SIM Card.
Thx Paul Frank Briggs