Koodo Community

Community

Regained cell service and my data was eaten alive any idea?

I used the subway in Toronto, underground there is no cellular service.  Every time I came above ground, I had mass amounts of my data dissapearing, I have 5gb's per month and my bill reset on the 11th.  Just coming above ground used 600mbs+. This happened numerous times throughout the day. Average I use 174.86mbs/day. I recieved my 50% and 90% within two hours of eachother. Has anyone else experienced this issue.  I now have 200mbs to do until the 11th of August.

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can check in settings which app has been using so much data. Are you sure during this time that you had no carrier signal to speak of? From where to where on which stations?
Goran wrote:

You can check in settings which app has been using so much data. Are you sure during this time th...

I check Setting>Cellular and my data usage looks normal and nothing has spiked from my phone.
I took this trip 4 times yesterday on Lines 1 and 2, Donlands-St.George-Eglinton West
Each time coming above ground between, Castle Frank and Broadview and then again at Eglinton West.  It used mass amounts of data according to my usage summary.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

You can check in settings which app has been using so much data. Are you sure during this time th...

I use TTC almost every day and I sometimes connect to TTC  WIFI if there is time to wait for my train.
But It doesn't effect  my data usage.

Did you try to text/call someone while you are above ground?  Still, it shouldn't affect your data usage. ( I use text all the time when I'm above ground)  

Goran wrote:

I recieved a single imessage between Castle Frank and Broadview the second time I passed there, however that does not account for the hundreds on megabytes it used that, and all the other times.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

So nothing has spiked in your phone yet when you look in self-serve, your usage is nearly all up?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Do you use TTC WIFI?  It's only available at subway stations and you lose Wifi signal as soon as the train leaves the station, and you could be connected to your mobile data if you are above ground.

So, if you are using the ttc wifi to download something, online games or watch YouTube/Netflix during your ride, you will lose wifi connection as you leave the station and use your data when you are above ground.

You mentioned you data usage looks normal and nothing has spiked. But you have used up your data in short time... 
Can you check  which apps have been using the most data? Then you might want to change your phone settings to save your data. You can restrict background data on certain apps to keep them from using it.

Goran wrote:

I dont use the wifi usually and when I do, i find it too slow to download anything. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Hello Jordan,

You should definitely look into the settings to seee what caused this. I had this same issue once when I was in a building downtown and just out of nowhere at a certain hours I had used 300mb without even touching my phone. It was something related to locations services...Never found out why
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Hello Jordan,

You should definitely look into the settings to seee what caused this. I had this same issue once when I was in a building downtown and just out of nowhere at a certain hours I had used 300mb without even touching my phone. It was something related to locations services...Never found out why
Goran wrote:

I even checked system services and my iCloud drive uploads to see if anything was out of the normal.  Nothing seemed strange, ill give koodo a call in the morning to see if they can fix anything.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Could be WiFi Assist if you have it enabled:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT205296

Goran wrote:

I have  the bluetooth wireless and data all turned off  but some how being charged for data  I just use  the phne for calls and messaging and keep getting charged usually playing the hearts  on the phone itself  and so frustrated every month plus paying stuff I dont want need never have downloaded anything EVER

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Which Hearts game?  Some connect to the internet to share your score, etc.
Also what phone do you have? and what messaging service are you using?
Goran wrote:

just  the hearts  on the  phone I never go on line
I have the lg phone and at home I am on my cogeco internet

Goran wrote:

the messaging is the yellow  one not  the blue figured that out
it would have been nice to have a book to help me  I am 75  and my first cell phone  my friend has a koodo phone and never gets charged other then his 40 dollars and  free calls cross canada and free messaging I thought I had the same

Goran wrote:

when I am on line it is on my lap top NEver my phone 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

No one publishes paper manuals any more. You can likely download one online, but there are no paper ones available. Does your local library offer computer support? Many do, and could likely help you. What data charges are you experiencing? Does the bill say how much data you are using and t what cost? Have you considered appplying the $2 data block to your account to prevent data consumption?
Goran wrote:

I have shock free data, never went over but it used exsessive amounts every time I regained cellular service
Goran wrote:

I am a 70 yr. old well educated person  but still old. Koddo  user for 10 yrs. Loved it but now I hate it. Travel to U S often. Not clear how I get charged so much for data  ?? Just looking at the emails without even opening    ..  Charge  ?Setting  alarm   // try to keep at airplane  mode or just  close the phone.. Did down loading google directions cause lot of data ? Why  I am not told what action will cost me money and what action is free .. Just looking at the incoming text  is free ?? What if someone sends apic. in the text and I just look at it in US ?? free ?
Userlevel 7
Goran wrote:

So just reading that you're getting email tells me your data roaming is on. Even if you don't open the email, it's still been retrieved while you're roaming. And yes Google directions uses a ton of data as well.

There are offline gps apps you should grab instead like CoPilot and such. These apps don't use network data.

If you want to avoid data charges while you're in the states you need to turn data roaming off. You can rely on free wifi which is everywhere to check your emails and Google. You need to know anytime you access data without a roaming plan you'll pay through the nose.

Picture messages also use data.

. If you travel to the states frequently you may want to consider a roaming plan or unlocking your phone and buying a prepaid USA sim at Walmart. What phone do you have?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

@Denist Phone
If you travel to the USA frequently, and need to keep your current number, you could also consider Telus' Canada-US plans, where your phone is easily usable in both countries with no billing surprises.