Koodo Community
Solved

Refreshed iPhone Warranty

Userlevel 2
When or if buying a refreshed iPhone does it come with Apples 1 year warranty or is there no warranty on it at all, also can AppleCare+ still be purchased? Im considering on purchasing a refreshed iPhone unit on Koodo.

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes to both.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Refurbished iPhones only come with a 6 month warranty and are not eligible for AppleCare+. https://www.koodomobile.com/help/cert...
Userlevel 2
its refreshed not refurbished
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
neek247 wrote:

From https://www.koodomobile.com/help/certified-pre-owned-phones?_ga=2.136963888.1421690976.1510101506-37...

"A 6-month limited warranty on iPhones and a 1-year limited warranty on all other phones from the date of purchase"

I don't think you can buy AppleCare with it and it has 6 months warranty. That is the official statement.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
neek247 wrote:

Refurbished and refreshed are the same thing.
Userlevel 2
neek247 wrote:

why use different terms then for each item?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
neek247 wrote:

Who knows. There may be a slight difference in how they were used before hand? Something to ask Koodo but in the end I see them all as used phones that have been certified to be in like new conditions. While on the Koodo website looking at phones, the sort box displays "Certified pre-owned" and refreshed phones come up under that therefore the link I posted above applies to refreshed phones as well.
Userlevel 2
neek247 wrote:

ok thanks.
neek247 wrote:

The refurbished phones from koodo iphones that is now come with a one year warranty since april 2013. You CANNOT get apple care on a refurb phone.
neek247 wrote:

online:Certified Pre-owned Phone warrantyEvery Certified Pre-owned Phone purchased after April 5, 2013, includes a warranty valid for a period of up to one year.
We’re sorry, but the Applecare+ Protection Plan isn’t offered with our Certified Pre-owned Phones, and is only available for new iPhones.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
neek247 wrote:

It's badly written on that page. Here (https://www.koodomobile.com/help/warr...) says: "Koodo Certified Pre-Owned Phones purchased after April 5, 2013, come with a 6-month limited warranty for iPhone and a 1-year limited warranty for all other phones."
Userlevel 2
neek247 wrote:

Koodo on twitter told me 6 months also.. so whats up with that?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
neek247 wrote:

If a Koodo rep recently told you that than that is what you should go with. One of the other MM flagged the website with the Koodo reps to see what was correct.
Userlevel 2
neek247 wrote:

This is what he gave me on twitter, shows 6 months for iPhones and 1 year for other phones https://www.koodomobile.com/help/certified-pre-owned-phones
It will be nice if somebody doesn't delete the only comment here with complete, correct details:

Apple's 1-year warranty is based on when the iPhone was first activated, i.e. when Koodo first sold the phone. If Koodo sends you an iPhone that was first sold in the past 60 days, you will be able to buy AppleCare+ from Apple. I received two devices recently with warranty until May 2018, and September 2018; so one was first sold 6 months ago, and the other one 2 months ago. It is also possible for Koodo to send you a device whose Apple warranty is expired, and then you will have to go through Koodo for any repairs under "warranty." So, it depends on your luck.
Userlevel 6
You-Do-Not-Know-Who wrote:

It will be nice if somebody doesn't delete the only comment here with complete, correct details:

Koodo can exchange or return the refreshed iPhone within 15 days. After 15 days, repairs are referred to Apple support. I’ve noticed that you’ve referenced the Apple check my warranty feature. You will have to keep your proof of purchase and the 6 month warranty is honoured even if it is beyond a year from it was originally registered. The iPhone sku will be labelled as preowned and that will differentiate it from a new iPhone. Apple also sells refurbished macs, iPads, etc. in their website and honours 1 year of manufacturer warranty. With your logic, they are lying about the 1 year manufacturer warranty and they go with the first date it was sold new. You’re probably are getting confused with iPhones sold in the grey market such as eBay, Kijiji, etc. PS. For mentioning that your post is the only correct post in this thread, that is a bold label.
Userlevel 2

I wish apple would sell refurb iphones here in canada lol
Userlevel 6

@Ashley ikr, I hope it’ll be available in the future. I’ve taken advantage of some refurbished products from their website, pretty good discount.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Apple refurbished products are "not preowned" and "never activated" with Apple system. They have new IMEIs and serial numbers. Apple Care+ is also available for them (so warranty can be extended for 2 years).

If Koodo iPhones were already activated and warranted 6months, they are likely  "used" iPhones, or replacements of "used" phones. 

Hence, Koodo "refreshed" is way different from Apple "refurbished". It is not just a semantic difference.