Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Purchasing online, and use SIN number for credit check

An older friend of mine is hoping to port his number to Koodo. He lives 4 hours from the nearest Koodo kiosk, so purchasing the phone online is his best option, to avail of the iPhone SE promo price and promo plan. He doesn't have a credit card, but could use mine for the online purchasing, or use his VISA debit. Is this possible? Then provide his SIN for the credit check, and set up pre-authorized payments to his bank account. Once he receives the phone, port his number from Bell. Is there anything that would block him from doing this all online? Thanks in advance!

20 replies

Your cc might need to be registred on the account. He could try with his debit card, sometimes it works.
So if his debit card doesn't work, I'd purchase the phone as if it were mine, then change the info to his afterwards?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sacha Gale wrote:

So if his debit card doesn't work, I'd purchase the phone as if it were mine, then change the inf...

Yes you could do that. It will be a process but easily done for sure. Credit cards have to have the same address as what you register with Koodo as well a the surname. So that's why using your card to set up his account will not work.
Sacha Gale wrote:

So if his debit card doesn't work, I'd purchase the phone as if it were mine, then change the inf...

in order to change it from her name to his he will also need a credit check so i would say it might not work that simple
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sacha Gale wrote:

Which isn't a very hard process. Like I said above.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
There would be a fee for a transfer of ownership, ($25, I believe), and accounts are not eligible for transfer until they have been active for at least three months.
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

There would be a fee for a transfer of ownership, ($25, I believe), and accounts are not eligible...

it's 10$, nowadays 🙂
So, if his visa debit isn't accepted, he can't purchase the phone online? Just because he doesnt have a credit card?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sacha Gale wrote:

So, if his visa debit isn't accepted, he can't purchase the phone online? Just because he doesnt ...

I have been told visa debit won't work. But he can try it. And yes you have to have a credit card to order online. I used my dad's and it went thru no problem.
Sacha Gale wrote:

So, if his visa debit isn't accepted, he can't purchase the phone online? Just because he doesnt ...

But your account is under your dad's name then, right?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sacha Gale wrote:

No its not. His card is my address and we share surnames. Which is why it worked.
he can make the credit check with his social insurance number and passport or driver's licence and just make the payment by visa debit
I'll get him to try the visa debit, see if it's accepted. I don't have a good feeling though! Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Just try it. All you can do.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
There are few areas in Canada 4 hours from a Koodo point of sale. Have you confirmed the closest option in the 'Stores' link at the bottom of the page?  There may be a location closer than you thought!

Can Walmart port numbers? And do credit checks from SIN cards to activate? I assumed they couldn't, and disregarded this option. If this works, that would be awesome!
Userlevel 6
Sacha Gale wrote:

Can Walmart port numbers? And do credit checks from SIN cards to activate? I assumed they couldn...

Hey Sacha! Wal-Mart or any other retail locations that sell Koodo can activate Koodo account and sell phones.  You can take a look here http://koo.do/1YM8LhV to see which location is closest. Stores can accept other ID for credit checks that can be found here http://koo.do/LRgn8M . Keep in mind that your friend will need both his SIN and a drivers licence under his name to pass the credit check online since he doesn't have a credit card under his name. He will not be able to use your Visa Debit unless you activate the service.  Keep in mind if you do activate the service you will be financially responsible of what goes on with the account.   Hope this clarifies things!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sacha Gale wrote:

Can Walmart port numbers? And do credit checks from SIN cards to activate? I assumed they couldn...

@Melissa,
     Though I know Walmart sells cellular phones, I have not yet found any Walmart store listed at the link you provide, or the Stores link at the bottom of the page.

Userlevel 6
Sacha Gale wrote:

Sacha, is there a Loblaws Branded store near you (Zehrs, Loblaws, Real Canadian Superstore, Real Atlantic Superstore if you're east of Québec, Fortinos) near you? You can visit The Mobile Shop there and do a Koodo activation with proper ID.
The visa debit worked ordering online. Thanks for the help!