Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Problems with service after travelling in US

I live in a border town to the US. Everything was fine with my koodoo service when I went over. Since coming back, my phone continues to show that I am in the US. This has happened before and the problem either corrected itself after a little while or the phone would recognize that I was back in Canada after I would reboot it. It's been several hours now and I've rebooted the phone but the service bar is still showing a US carrier. I turned off roaming while in the US but now I can't make any calls or texts without US roaming.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Goto your network setting and switch from automatic network selection to manual network selection Your phone will perform a scan which can take up to 2 minutes. You'll be presented with a list of available carriers Choose telus or Koodo If you Go back to the states change it back to automatic
Chad Burr wrote:

Goto your network setting and switch from automatic network selection to manual network selection...

Thanks for trying to help. I did try this before posting my question and it didn't help. I was able to fix the problem with 3G being turned back on.
Userlevel 4
Another, slightly more extreme troubleshooting strategy would be to reset your network settings. It looks like this is tagged with the iPhone tag so I'm assuming that's what you have. You can go Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings This should clear any cobwebs that have collected. NOTE that this will also cause the phone to forget any wireless networks you connected to previously so you will need to re-connect and enter your password for any wireless networks you have used.
Scott Lougheed wrote:

Another, slightly more extreme troubleshooting strategy would be to reset your network settings. ...

I was able to fix my problem by enabling 3G again but I like your idea of clearing the "cobwebs" by resetting the network settings so thanks for sharing.
Userlevel 4
Scott Lougheed wrote:

Another, slightly more extreme troubleshooting strategy would be to reset your network settings. ...

Glad you found a solution! Cheers.
Userlevel 6
One thing you can check, if you're still having problems, is to make sure your 3G is enabled. Settings>Cellular>Enable 3G Sometimes when you're in the US you find yourself in an area with only 2G coverage. In order to save battery life your phone will automatically turn 3G off because it's not available. However, since Koodo doesn't use a 2G network your service won't work when you get back to Canada. Unfortunately smartphones aren't smart enough to know if 3G is available when 3G is off.
You're right. Changing back to 3G fixed the problem.