Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Privacy Complaints - PIPEDA

Ok I have a MAJOR issue with Koodo (Telus) regarding privacy issues now. I have filed a complaint under the Office of the Privacy Commissioner but wanted to vent here as well. Any other clients with similar issues or feedback is appreciated.

Activated 2 lines under Koodo with brand new iPhones. Understand our family has multiple phone lines under Telus, Koodo, and Public so we have long term relationship and am moderately knowledgeable on cellular industry.

After activation called into Koodo self serve since store advised they could not change certain information at store level. Self serve rep took look at account, and advised they could see issue so quickly resolved it (at most 15-20 minutes).

After resolved, left store, and in 17 minutes later both phones received a text regarding "suspicious activity" and "fraud". Both lines cancelled and an email was sent claiming "we are sorry to see you go". 

As they cancelled the phones after 9PM both the store and call centre were closed so needed to wait until morning. In anger I posted another thread here & filed a CCTS complaint (as they had 2 breaches in Wireless Code as per my understanding).

In the morning I called the call centre and also went back to the store and here is where it gets good (in an absurd kind of way)

I confronted them on the fraud claims (only 1 phone call made from cell phone to Koodo customer service and only 1 txt made to daughter advising her of new number) so what kind of fraud can they possibly see?

Koodo response is that the primary user of the account has no ties to the community (well beside the fact he owns a house, car, and has all his family, wife, kids & grandkids here) and that they flag account because he could leave the country and not pay his phone bill. Seriously they think he will abandon his family just so he can get a free iPhone???

Even worse the solution is this:
They say someone at Telus (someone who apparently works for fraud team and is not allowed to answer phone or speak to clients) is requesting information
We must scan ALL his documents (asking for passport, driver license, sin number ect) be scanned front and back and sent to them to keep on file

1- Does anyone at Koodo know how to spell PIPEDA much less understand its ramifications? How can anyone not think this is a serious privacy breach?
2- Are they for real about how people will "flee the country" with an iPhone? Talk about racist.

Of course no response from Koodo on facebook page or in other thread I started and overall this is justr plain crazy

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Shawn,
In order to apply for a postpaid plan, carriers can check credit of the customers, as the Tab on the phone is treated as a money loan. So they could ask for relevant documents, and it is a normal practice of banks also. You could choose to submit certain documents as per https://www.koodomobile.com/help/credit-check-requirements if you wish.

If you think you will not stay with Koodo, I would suggest going to find another carrier who accommodates the deals for you. You have filed complaints to CCTS, so let them help you.
@Azure123 yes credit check is legal, asking to copy personal documents is illegal. As per government of Ontario read this link as an example:  https://www.priv.gc.ca/en/opc-actions-and-decisions/investigations/investigations-into-businesses/20...
You-Do-Not-Know-Who wrote:

Koodo is TELUS. They want to verify that whoever bought the phones are really who they claim to b...

Only the necessary minimum amount of personal information should be collected from a client to meet a legitimate business need.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
ShawnKavanagh wrote:

@Azure123 yes credit check is legal, asking to copy personal documents is illegal. As per ...

The problem right now is: you are dealing with a fraud prevention team. They could claim they suspected one of the two ID was fake. Hence you had to supply other to prove the validity of that ID.

A phone contract is a mutual agreement between 2 parties. If one party (telus/koodo) didn't trust the other, then they had the reasons to cancel. You could say they were wrong, but then you had to prove it by providing what they wanted. If you don't want to do it. don't provide, and move to another carrier.

Koodo is TELUS. They want to verify that whoever bought the phones are really who they claim to b...

Nope they are asking for *5* pieces of ID including SIN hence my severe issue with process. I have multiple lines under Koodo, Telus & Public (all Telus brands) so am well aware of things like activation process and credit check

This is for fraud prevention team. They do not speak over the phone at all.

Telus is racist. They are claiming that because he is a foreign national he might leave the country and not pay phone bills. You know abandon his wife, kids, grandkids, etc just so he can return home with his shiny $360 Tab iPhone. I have filed complaint to PIPEDA and now to HRTO as well. I am going to media next, I am sure they will love the story of an evil cell phone company. Honestly I am going to bury them this time.

Userlevel 4
Unrelated to the incident, but relevant to the topic, I find it abit concerning that referral a friend website will tell you the person’s name just by only providing their number.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ry wrote:

Unrelated to the incident, but relevant to the topic, I find it abit concerning that referral a f...

"  referral a friend website will tell you the person’s name just by only providing their number."
 -  No, it's not true.
You enter a person's number or Email address when the website asked you [Who referred you?}.   You can enter any number, but you don't see who is the person under that number. 
And web page direct you to enter your name and Email address.

Userlevel 4
Ry wrote:

Unrelated to the incident, but relevant to the topic, I find it abit concerning that referral a f...

Ah, they fixed it. That was not the case back in april when I switched back to koodo and put my friends number in. I apologize for the misinformation.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ry wrote:

No problem. Things are changing a lot within their system, self serve function and...etc over the time.
It's good they changed/fixed it in good way 🙂

You can post any concern here when you find it.(I guess we don't want too much concern about their service  ;))
We can flag them if necessary, also reps are monitoring this community and they can check them. 
Userlevel 6
I’m not trying to downgrade your views. But in some countries, clients have to provide proof of income, proof of employment, police record check, etc. with proof of identification to open a post paid account. Canada is not immune to fraud, it may not be as prevalent as other countries but it is there. I have a friend who opened an account with Koodo and was also asked for additional proof of identification. The speedier you submit the I.D. they needed, the faster the resolution will be. If you are not happy about this, there are other carriers but remember that they may also ask for additional proof.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Erwin wrote:

I’m not trying to downgrade your views. But in some countries, clients have to provide proof of i...

In Norway, you have to have a guarantor to open a prepaid line if you don't live there.
Exactly but the concept that a non-white foreigner is more apt to steal from them is racism pure and simple. Already filed complaint to HRTO and am following up with media today to run the story. There is a certain expectation of credit being extended and what they are trying to do is discriminatory. They actually told me that because he has no ties to community (excluding wife, kids & grandkids) this senior citizen is more likely to commit fraud by fleeing country with a $360 Tab phone unpaid. Just wow Telus. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
ShawnKavanagh wrote:

Exactly but the concept that a non-white foreigner is more apt to steal from them is racism pure ...

I really doubt that race has anything to do with this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
ShawnKavanagh wrote:

Exactly but the concept that a non-white foreigner is more apt to steal from them is racism pure ...

There is no profit in racism
Actually 1 general update to issues as well:

After ignoring posts / emails etc Koodo finally did respond
The front line customer service reps responded that as many high ranking people are now involved in issue for obvious reasons they can not actually do anything now but they did acknowledge my previous messages