Koodo Community

Community

Prevent Distracted Driving

Have all Koodo phones have a motion detector which will automatically put the phone to sleep and will return a message to callers "(Name) is driving at the moment and doesn't wish to be detracted, please leave a message and s/he will return your call when s/he has arrived at his/her destination. 

8 replies

Userlevel 1
This would be very helpful
Userlevel 7
Koodo doesn't manufacture phones or parts. They're only a service provider.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Except if this were the case your phone would also be unusable when you were a passenger in a car, bus or train rather than the driver.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
What about if I'm in the passenger seat or on the bus? Or if I use my phone's GPS capability for directions while driving (increasing the safety of travel)? There are very legitimate uses for a phone in a moving vehicle which do not result in driver distraction. There are also many distractions not related to phones as well. Should we ban drive-thrus because folks focus on their coffee or burger? This issue does not have a simple answer, but the first step is personal responsibility for one's actions. Edit - beaten to the punch by Timo!
Someone has to come up with something. I am fed up of being nearly run off the road by those who can not leave their phones alone for 5 minutes. Distracted driving is now the leading cause of accidents on our roads. Ten or twenty years ago, people survived plane, train, bus and road trips just fine without constant access to their phones. They read books, did crosswords or hey, even looked at the scenery passing by. The threat of fines and tickets doesn't seem to be working. What will?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
OHmy wrote:

Someone has to come up with something. I am fed up of being nearly run off the road by those who ...

Probably natural selection.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
OHmy wrote:

Someone has to come up with something. I am fed up of being nearly run off the road by those who ...

Threat of punishment doesn't work. Inevitability of punishment does. And frankly, tech means of solving this issue will always fail, because people will find a way around it. In-dash navigation units aren't supposed to let you enter your destination while your parking brake isn't engaged and it takes almost no skill to bypass this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
OHmy wrote:

I agree *someone* has to do something about this, but punishing anyone in a moving vehicle by preventing them accessing their phone is not a realistic. Watching the scenery going by on the train trip to work has to be really exciting, as is sitting next to the person trying to read the paper while commuting, rather than listening to the podcast, or reading on the tiny device. If your concern is to be resolved, it will be in the same manner as we have reduced the carnage from drinking drivers, or tobacco smoke, by enforcing social responsibility. Advocating to restrict the appropriate use of technology, in order to try to prevent the misuse will go nowhere;society is not prepared to accept such restrictions.