Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Prepaid sim card not working

Just got a new prepaid sim card and when trying to active, it says "The SIM number you entered is not valid. Please try again." What do I do?

26 replies

Userlevel 1
You can try taking it out and putting it back in.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Pedro Echeverri wrote:

You can try taking it out and putting it back in.

That won't do anything because she has a problem with the activation of her account!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Did you have Koodo swap over to your new sim?
My sim was changed today and working fine on a different phone. I was mucking about with it a
 then suddenly it says "sin card is blocked, contact service provider for the pin unlo
ck number" ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jeffrey T McCallum wrote:

My sim was changed today and working fine on a different phone. I was mucking about with it a
&nb...

Yup, you'll need to contact Koodo to get a PUK number to unlock your SIM card.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Are you sure you are entering all the number on the sim card correctly?  The numbers are very small and long that a typo could have occured
Dennis wrote:

Are you sure you are entering all the number on the sim card correctly?  The numbers are ver...

Yes I've made sure they are right multiple times as well as let 2 other people enter them. Get the same message every time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Are you sure you are entering all the number on the sim card correctly?  The numbers are ver...

Is it possible the store gave you a monthly sim instead of a prepaid sim card by mistake?
Dennis wrote:

That could be it. There is nothing that say if its a monthly or prepaid sim on it. Would that mean I need a new one or can this one be changed somehow?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

I would go back to the store and tell them the sim they sold does not work.  Then confirm that you need a Prepaid sim.  They should be $20.  The regular sims are $15
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

The SIM card itself could be bad. I've had it happen. Wouldn't activate no matter what. Had to grab another one at the store.
Dennis wrote:

I am pretty sure it is supposed to say Prepaid somewhere on the card if it is Prepaid.
Userlevel 1
Dennis wrote:

I bought a pre paid sim for iPad data however when I try to activate the sim with the SIM card number I am told that the sim is not valid- despite trying several times and ejecting and reinserting the SIM card. The card definitely is a pre paid SIM frustrating!! I am here from Australia to help out with the fires in BC and can’t get the sim card activated HELP
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Ok 2 separate things: 1.Were you able to activate successfully online? Did self serve say you are up and running? 2. Does the sim work when inserted into a carrier unlocked Cellphone?
Userlevel 1
Dennis wrote:

Dennis i have the network carrier showing on the top left of the ipad I can't activate the sim via the koobo webpage to activate the sim Thanks mate
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

@Simon:
How did you activate the SIM? Where did you see the message? was it online? (I assumed you activated following this https://activateprepaid.koodomobile.com/).

You need to buy data booster online in the selfserve https://prepaidselfserve.koodomobile.com/ to use data in the iPad.

Userlevel 1
Dennis wrote:

Dinh, I tried unsuccessfully to activate via the link in your thread with no luck, I’ll look at the data booster but how would that help if I can’t activate the sim? Thanks for the replies too. Hopefully we can get a successful result Cheers Simon
Userlevel 1
Dennis wrote:

I purchased a new sim Koodo virtual prepaid pin 50 If that helps, I also don’t have a phone number for the sim either maybe that is an issue too. The prepaid self serve requires a phone number to obtain a login As you can see I’m not tech savvy but need the data to work so as to do my job helping my fellow Canadian Fire fighters with the enormous task ahead of us. Cheers
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

@Simon, you need to activate the prepaid first, to use the selfserve.

What was the message that they gave you when you tried to activate?

Btw, the forum is mainly for customer interactions, I am a customer also. If you need special help from a Koodo agent, you might want to visit their kiosk or call 1 (866) 995-6636
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

I don’t think you can activate a prepaid SIM as a tablet plan. You can, as an existing customer, add a tablet plan to your postpaid account.
You need an unlocked phone for a prepaid plan.

I believe Bell still offers independent tablet plans, and there are (unconfirmed) reports of getting a Public Mobile plan to work in a tablet
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

What error are you getting when you try to activate your prepaid sim using the link@Dinh provided
https://activateprepaid.koodomobile.com/?_ga=2.126112909.1490078802.1533678934-1256676273.1524978091
Userlevel 1
Dennis the same each time I try to enter the activate sim box on the webpage that the sim is invalid. Maybe the sim needs to be put into a phone before it goes into my iPad? Back to the shop to sort it before heading out this morning H Cheers all
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Simon Scharf wrote:

Dennis the same each time I try to enter the activate sim box on the webpage that the sim is inva...

https://www.koodomobile.com/help/activating-tablet
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Simon Scharf wrote:

Dennis the same each time I try to enter the activate sim box on the webpage that the sim is inva...

Where did you get the sim, you should be able to activate the sim regardless if the sim is in a device or not
Userlevel 1
Dennis I looked at the link you provided and it looks like the prepaid data is only for existing customers which I am not. Strange that the SIM card still says invalid when I try and enter the sim serial number. I’ll head back to the shop and see it can be resolved Thanks to Dennis, David, Dhin for your help, heading into the BC fire zone today hopefully all data sorted before, you guys have an amazing country and we all feel for the people displaced during the fires. Good luck to you all. Cheers Simon Australia- on loan to Canada fire agencies till the end of this month