Koodo Community
Solved

Poor Service Inside

Have had a plan with Koodo for the last two years with the same phone and the last two weeks I’ve been noticing very poor service inside but it’s fine outside. Prior to this I have not had any issues with service inside. My calls frequently drop, I get strange noises over the line before the call drops, and people can frequently not hear me when I answer the phone. What is going on, why has this suddenly started? 

icon

Best answer by nim4165 2 October 2020, 04:04

If you may be up for a new phone soon, do your research and look for phones that perform well in low signal areas.

Better still, if you know people who are with Telus/koodo, try to have them use their phones inside your home and see which ones perform better indoor. 

See also “Compare Canadian Coverage Maps from All Carriers” at https://www.comparecellular.ca/coverage-maps/

You can also research the Bell/Telus network sharing agreements to better understand the actual coverage (and possible interferences) in your specific area.

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Does anyone else in the area have the same problem indoors? Anyone else in your house? Are you able to put your Sim card in another phone to see if the problem follows?

I haven’t heard that anyone else in the area has had the same issue, but I believe they are on a different network. No one else in my house has had this issue. I will try my Sim in another phone, thanks for the suggestion! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

First question: Have you changed your phone two weeks ago. Different phones have different sensitivities which determines their receiver performance,

The signal strength inside your house may also be affected by maintenance work (one or more transmitter down) on the closest Telus/koodo tower or (less likely) a new obstacle (between your house and the tower) which attenuates the signal. Another possibility is a new source of interference from another mobile network’s tower.

Try to google  (search time period ‘last month’) koodo signal issues in your xxxx area for clues about network issues in your area.

Hi nim4165! I haven’t changed my phone recently, I’ve used the same one for the last two years. I will check the signal issues, maybe there was a new tower or something like you suggested. Good suggestion, thanks! 

I looked in my area and the nearest Telus tower is a bit far but not super far from me but I am surrounded by Bell towers. Bell and Telus share towers though do they not? 

I also just put my Sim in my old phone and made a call. That did not drop or have issues inside and I was told the sound quality coming from my end was actually clearer than with my current phone so perhaps it is my phone? I bought my phone on contract and I have only one or two tab payments left on it so it does seem a little suspicious that I’m having issues close to “upgrade” time…? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you may be up for a new phone soon, do your research and look for phones that perform well in low signal areas.

Better still, if you know people who are with Telus/koodo, try to have them use their phones inside your home and see which ones perform better indoor. 

See also “Compare Canadian Coverage Maps from All Carriers” at https://www.comparecellular.ca/coverage-maps/

You can also research the Bell/Telus network sharing agreements to better understand the actual coverage (and possible interferences) in your specific area.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

A word of caution. Your old phone may perform better indoor but it COULD be using 3G which means slower effective data rates. Your new phone research should look at 4G LTE performance (and maybe even 5G, even though I am not sure about Telus plans for 5G). Good hunting!

That’s good to keep in mind, and that link you sent is very helpful, thank you!! 

I’ll have some friends try their phones at my place. Wasn’t planning on buying a new phone but I’ll start thinking about that (and preparing my wallet) in case. I’m using an iPhone 7 now and I guess while it’s considered an older model now, it’s been working perfectly fine besides the current issue so I’m hesitant to shell out some money on an upgrade if it’s not needed yet. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Since you have an iPhone 7, you may consider using wi-fi calling when the mobile signal is low indoor.

Go to Settings > Phone > Wi-Fi Calling and make sure that Wi-Fi Calling is on.
Restart your iPhone.
Connect to a different Wi-Fi network. Not all Wi-Fi networks work with Wi-Fi Calling.
Turn Wi-Fi Calling off and then on again.
Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset Network Settings

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Carriers cant do anything to target specific phones to give spotty service so let’s nip that conspiracy theory in the bud.

When was the last time you have restarted your phone? 

Give that a try first and maybe also Reset your Network settings to see if this fixes things on your phone.  Note that resetting your network settings will mean any bluetooth and and wifi connections will be lost