Koodo Community

Community

PLEASE BRING BACK MOBILE APP!

Please bring back mobile app!  I don't know based on what user testing or user data you made that decision to rip off the mobile self-service app. But most of ppl I know DO use mobile app more than website!  It's extremely inconvenient for me to open the broswer-> click book mark-> clicking self-service link-> login -> and then I can see my stuff... it's an extra 5+ click and sometimes if browser messed up. I have to click more to reach the website. This is painful! While everyone else is moving their service mobile accessible, Koodo just stepped backward to make mobile accessibility unavailable. It's not right! PLEASE BRING BACK MOBILE SELF-SERVICE APP!!! We need a user-friendly-app rather than a semi-friendly webpage!

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Al,

Do you know you can put a bookmark shortcut on your home screen and those 5 clicks instantly become 1?
Robert wrote:

Hello Al,

Do you know you can put a bookmark shortcut on your home screen and those 5 clicks ins...

1. On iphone,  only safari can add to home screen as far as I know and I don't use safari.

2. Even it's added to the home screen, you still have to input the username and password and login.

3. I don't like the idea of changing using habit to this scale. From the company perspective, it might save lots of money and effort. But from user perspective, at least for me, it's not convenient.

4. Even though there's not so many choices of carriers here in Canada, but competition r still severe between carriers. All those big 3 and their branches are having similar plans and they are making all the efforts to improve their user experience. Even  Fido upgrading their crapping mobile app to a more user-friendly one. It's not helpful if Koodo step back.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Hello Al,

Do you know you can put a bookmark shortcut on your home screen and those 5 clicks ins...

You can do it with chrome as well. What browser do you use on your phone? To save time you can have your browser remember your login credentials.
Robert wrote:

Hello Al,

How do I do this with chrome?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@ AI H, here is how we got to the decision....it may not help how you feel about it, and I totally understand, but might provide some additional context:

1. General app use of any kind has been on some decline for the last 12-18 months, ever since Apple coined the term "there is an app for that". 
2. Top apps on people's phones are never utility, telco or the likes. It's mostly messaging (whatsapp, facbook, twiiter etc.) apps  
3.Despite several years of the Koodo app, no more people use it today than a few years ago. About 20-25% of our customers. Why?
4.Our website has been redesigned for "mobile first" - meaning no more painful "pinch and zoom" to see anything. So most people are using the mobile site. 
5.The vast majority of the app users used it for one thing only checking usage for data
6. Since the the introductions of notification for data use and the more recent shock-free-data plans meant no more real need to check usage
7. The app always had far less capability for a variety of functions vs. our website (no tab balance view. no ability to change plans) 
8. The app was costing us some significant dollars and investing additional dollar to have two ecosystems (app and the website) didn't make sense
9. As per the Robert's suggestion, bookmarking takes just a couple of seconds and you will end up with a better experience than the app

Hope this helps to round out the picture.
Bernard wrote:

@ AI H, here is how we got to the decision....it may not help how you feel about it, and I totall...

Hi, Thanks for the detailed reply and I totally understand your points:

For point 1,3 - have you considered that it might because of the poor user-experience and lack of functions that website has caused all those?

For point 5,7 - yes. That's why most of the companies keep updating their mobile apps - maintenance, performance improvement and adding new functions maybe including payment - like apple pay or Android pay.

But I do understand that most of the time, as for me, I am only using the app to check data usage and make payment. And I understand it's taking a lot to maintenance two apps. As a user-experience designer, it's a bit surprising that Koodo made this decision. I always like Koodo and it's bit sad every time when I hear my friends complained about the app and some of them just switch to other carriers.  But I believe you have a team doing all the analysis and work to come up with this decision
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bernard wrote:

@ AI H, here is how we got to the decision....it may not help how you feel about it, and I totall...

We have (1-3), however it was dues to poor user experience. Those who used our app constantly rated it high. 

We are not the only ones switching away from apps. A number of companies have made similar decisions and likely even more will do in the future. Honestly, the mobile site experience is better than the app was as long as one Allan and Robert's suggestions above. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bernard wrote:

A health check of the  devices maybe in order.