Koodo Community
Solved

Plan Switcher SVP

I would like to change my pre-paid plan to self-serve to take advantage of the roaming rates. What are the steps?

40 replies

Userlevel 6
Do you mean you want to switch to a monthly plan? Prepaid cannot be used for roaming outside of Canada. If you want to switch you will need a new SIM card and koodo will also run a credit check. Go to a koodo store they will sort everything out for you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You will basically need to create a new account and sign up for monthly like a new customer and port your prepaid number over. If you port your number over you will effectively be canceling your prepaid service and forfeit any boosters you have in your prepaid account
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
On the plus side you can use your current phone and get an additional 10% off your rate for doing so.
Chad Burr wrote:

On the plus side you can use your current phone and get an additional 10% off your rate for doing...

Okay. Is there a fee for "unlocking" my iPhone in order to convert?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

On the plus side you can use your current phone and get an additional 10% off your rate for doing...

Since it's still Koodo you wont need to unlock the phone. However the cost to unlock is $35 if you ever just want to get a local prepaid sim when you are travelling with your phone
Chad Burr wrote:

Oh, so in other words, I can switch plans in Koodo without unlocking the phone and go from there. Can I do this on-line or should I visit a kiosk?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

Visit a Kiosk. They can set you up with a new account. Then they can port your number. Now, are you really really sure you want to port your number to a monthly plan just for the privilege to roam? And lose all your boosters? Are you looking to roam so you can use data or text or talk? How long are you going to be roaming? Where are you traveling too?
Chad Burr wrote:

Answer to first question is yes, simply because I'm not looking to throw good money after bad. In other words, if I unlock the phone it's $35 and I don't know the price of a new sim card on top of that. I'm looking to have a fully functioning iPhone south of the border. Answer to second and third question: as a pre-paid customer my iphone won't work in the USA where I will be for about 10 days beginning July 29.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

Have you thought of unlocking your iphone and then using a USA prepaid sim like David said below Here are some prepaid rates in the US http://prepaidwithdata.wikia.com/wiki/United_States
Chad Burr wrote:

Yes, thanks. What does Koodo charge for unlocking my iPhone?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

$35
Thanks for the replies. I'm disappointed with Koodo and their strict policies and inflexible plans. I'm a prepaid, monthly subscriber committed to the Koodo and their services. I researched heavily before choosing a provider, and took some very good advice from friends and colleagues before taking my business specifically to Koodo. Can you see the unfairness of losing my prepaid boosters? Can Koodo understand how they will lose me as a customer altogether under these terms?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Corcelli wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I'm disappointed with Koodo and their strict policies and inflexible plan...

I feel your pain however prepaid and postpaid are two different incompatible systems. Transferring monies or data wouldn't work because of that.
John Corcelli wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I'm disappointed with Koodo and their strict policies and inflexible plan...

The money I can understand, but the data? Why is that "incompatible" if I stay with the same number, account and company?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Corcelli wrote:

It won't be the same account. It's a totally different system. Prepaid and postpaid have their own unique advantages and disadvantages. Nothing in either system if transferable.
John Corcelli wrote:

Okay...fair enough. Thanks for the support!
John Corcelli wrote:

btw: here's the fine print regarding a 10% discount for monthly plans. (1) Not available if you have negative Tab balance. No positive Tab balance will be earned. Discount does not apply to voice and data overages, taxes, credits and late payment charges. Excludes Koodo Prepaid.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Corcelli wrote:

You would start with 0 tab since you're bringing your own phone, you won't earn a positive balance since you're getting the discount because that's kinda double dipping. Discount applies to your plan, not your overages above your plan. And they certainly won't five you a discount for being late! 🙂
John Corcelli wrote:

Understood. I'm guess I'm looking for a good rate and the least hassle regarding the whole process. Thanks for the straight-shootin' advice!
Userlevel 6
John, did you consider keeping your prepaid plan, unlocking your phone and simply using another prepaid provider while in the US? Many people go this route with VERY satisfactory results, money-wise. Yes, it involves swapping your SIM out with the US one, but it's not that big a deal. When back in Canada, you re-swap your Koodo SIM back in and you resume where you left. It's what many of us do! Give it some thought before you do anything irrational like cancelling prepaid :oP
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

John, did you consider keeping your prepaid plan, unlocking your phone and simply using another p...

I don't think it's "irrational" to consider my limited options regarding mobile service with Koodo. That said, where can I get a SIM card in Toronto for use in the USA?
Userlevel 6

John, did you consider keeping your prepaid plan, unlocking your phone and simply using another p...

I was calling it "irrational" because prepaid offers incredible value these days, and you don't want to lose that, or your boosters. I'm prepaid too, btw. Roam Mobility is a good start if you plan on visiting the larger cities in the US. They use the T-Mobile network and are cheap enough that you won't feel limited (if their coverage suits you). Roam Mobility SIM cards are commonly sold online on their own website, at FutureShop locations as well as when going thru customs.
Userlevel 6

If you don't mind setting things up while in the US, you can also visit a WalMart and get a US prepaid SIM from the provider of your choice (mainly AT&T and T-Mobile and all their MVNOs). This would work too, but doesn't have the convenience of setting up before departure like Roam Mobility allows.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Only thing is those sims will run you 35-60$ at Walmart USA.
Userlevel 6

Wow, up to $60? I hope it comes with some included airtime at that price!!! o_O