Koodo Community

Community

Solved

picture messaging

I have an iPhone and I recently took of my data addon because I have no use for it anymore. I have the texting add on which includes unlimited picture messaging. I cant send pictures with out turning on data so I called Koodo to make sure I wont get charged for receiving and sending picture messages. They told me that I would not be charged and I can turn on data. I did as they said and everything worked fine from there. I check my self serve the very next day and I've been charged about $10 for using data. I call CS and they give me a credit and tell me that I CANNOT use picture messaging because I don't have a data plan. My question is that I am paying for a feature that I can't use but I"m being limited for no reason, is there any fix?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
only if you jailbreak your iPhone. There's a fix for Android devices but not for iPhone's unless you jailbreak the phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

only if you jailbreak your iPhone. There's a fix for Android devices but not for iPhone's unless ...

Or if the iPhone is unlocked
you ca turn ON/OFF data when you need it. As soon as you finish sending/receiving picture turn the DATA off i know it is inconvinient but at least you wont be charged.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Get it solved ! wrote:

you ca turn ON/OFF data when you need it. As soon as you finish sending/receiving picture turn...

Not really a fix as anything that syncs in the background when you turn it on for that second will be charged as well but it is your only other option if you don't want to jailbreak.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
To clarify with a little more detail. Picture messaging (MMS) used data, however this data with Unlimited messaging is free. However if your iPhone uses data for other things (apps, email, background syncing that was mentioned above) then that data will cost money. The problem here is that the iPhone does not have a separate option to turn on MMS data but turn off regular internet data. This is a limitation of the iPhone, and the limited powers available to app developers to control is not available, hence there is "no app for that" Also, it is nearly impossible to turn off every instance of apps, etc running in the background, so when you turn data on for MMS, there will be "data leakage" from your phone. The only solution for the iPhone is to change the APN address for regular internet data to something incorrect so data wont be accessible (since the address is incorrect). The problem is that the only way to access this option change the APN (in Settings->General->Network->Cellular Data Network) is if you jailbreak which Paul mentions above, or if your phone is unlocked
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
I do not know what is the plan that you currently have but you should probably think about one of the promotional plans that include data, prices are very affordable and they will give you the option not only to send picture messages, but to also check your e-mails, facebook, twitter, GPS, and way more... Check them out, they are amazing and will expire soon... https://shop.koodomobile.com/plans/plans/index.html