Koodo Community

Community

Phone upgrade for son: multiple questions!

Userlevel 1
My son, who's on my account, would like an iPhone and has saved enough for a guaranteed refurbished one on Amazon. However, I see that there's a special offer if he "upgrades" to an account with a tab. I always buy phones because I prefer not to have the ongoing debt of a tab, but iPhones are expensive so perhaps that's the way to go. The special offer says: "Big Deal Alert! Upgrade to select phones with the Tab and get up to an additional $140 off your device! Hurry, offer ends July 31, 2017." I really have no idea how this works so am hoping that I'll get the very useful advice I've always received in the community.

1. Is a tab necessarily a financially bad thing? i.e. more limiting, more expensive?
2. Would he need a credit check if I wanted him to be responsible for his own account? (He's 18 but is a student in a special work-orientated program so doesn't have anything in his own name except a caisse pop savngs account.)
3. What is the "up to an additional $140" in addition to?

Thank you in advance for your answers and opinions.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
In answer to your questions:
  1. A Tab is an interest-free loan. Use the power of inflation to pay less than buying up front.
  2. Yes, he would need a credit check in that instance, and needs to be of the age of majority in your province to enter into a contract with Koodo.
  3.  The "up to an additional $140" is in addition to any other savings currently available. Koodo is currently offering $231 to $271 savings on iPhone. the $140 would be in addition to this.

Userlevel 1
Damn! Forgot to ask we can buy the phone from a kiosk and have (further!) questions answered there, or isthe offer only available online?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jeanine Floyd wrote:

Damn! Forgot to ask we can buy the phone from a kiosk and have (further!) questions answered ther...

That would depend on the content of the offer you received. What does it state?
Userlevel 1
It doesn't seem to mention where to buy it so I assume it's instore and on-line. Thank you, David, for your help. I especially like the "use the power of inflation" line!
Userlevel 6
Jeanine Floyd wrote:

It doesn't seem to mention where to buy it so I assume it's instore and on-line. Thank you, D...

Hey Jeanine, That's is correct, you'll be able to redeem your offer online or at a Koodo Shop. With the "up to $140 off" offer, you'll be able to go to Tab M with $100 off or Tab L with $140 off. I do recommend using Tab M or Tab L because there is an additional discount right now than buying the phone outright. For example, you can get the iPhone SE 32GB for $0 on Tab M, which is $360 over 24 months, rather than buying it outright for $604.
Userlevel 1
Jeanine Floyd wrote:

It doesn't seem to mention where to buy it so I assume it's instore and on-line. Thank you, D...

Thank you. That's a nice discount!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you got that offer via text message, then it's an offer specifically for your account. You wouldn't be able to get him a brand new account with that offer unless it's advertised somewhere.
Userlevel 1
Thank you. That makes sense. I saw it on his part of the bill so it must be on record.