Koodo Community
Question

Phantom messages sent from phone

So a friend of ours is recieving text messages from my girlfriend's phone number with small downloadable attachments, anywhere from 90-400kb in size. These messages do not appear on my girlfriends iPhone 6s,  or on her koodo self serve at all. Our friend's bill shows them incoming, but doesn't show a phone number, as if its blocked. This happens many times throughout the day. We have run a scan with avira on the iphone and turned up nothing. My girlfriend powered down her phone today, except between 4 and 4:20pm. Our friend received one of these messages at 4:31. Anyone have any ideas what's going on here?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So a friend of ours is recieving text messages from my girlfriend's phone number

Our friend's bill shows them incoming, but doesn't show a phone number, as if its blocked. 

These 2 sentences above confuses me. Is it blocked or does it show your gf's number? Could you maybe elaborate? From my understanding if something is blocked, that means phone number is unknown.

And a text number cant be blocked, it can only be spoofed. 

Just to make this a little less confusing I'm going to refer to the parties as sender and receiver.

Receiver's phone shows these messages along with their actual text messages with the sender, as if the sender is sending them. On the receiver's bill, however, the incoming messages in question do not display the senders phone number, but all the real messages do.

In this picture (terrible, I know) of the receivers account activity, the small grey circles are in the column that normally shows the phone number of the person texting you. When hovered over, it says the number cannot be displayed. I'm just trying to figure out who's phone is at fault here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Was cellular data enabled in the receiver phone?  From the screenshot, there were multiple MMS received.  However,  because the recipient didn't turn on cellular data, those MMS weren't delivered. 

I would suggest you ask the receiver to enable cellular data for MMS and see if the pictures could be shown. As you send messages across platform many emoji or gif messages could be sent as pictures. 

Cellular data was enabled. Any other picture messages are showing as normal.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This is strange. Who is the carrier of the receiver? You could also ask his/her to reset network settings of the phone and contact the carrier to check (because the mms didn't show the sender number). 

I think her carrier is virgin. She has contacted them and they said there was nothing wrong on her end. I just have no idea how to approach this when there's no evidence at all on our end.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Can you ask her to reset network settings of that phone? Also which phone was it? Was she using the default messaging app? (not viber/hangouts? )

I will try that on both phones just because. The other phone is an android of some kind, and looks like the default messaging app.

I found this same situation from a few others with no answers

https://community.koodomobile.com/android-81490/stepdad-received-a-download-text-from-my-number-but-i-didn-t-send-it-6778450

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I will try that on both phones just because. The other phone is an android of some kind, and looks like the default messaging app.

https://community.koodomobile.com/android-81490/stepdad-received-a-download-text-from-my-number-but-i-didn-t-send-it-6778450

4 year-old thread and noone can answer because it was so strange. You mentioned the Koodo sender didn’t send the MMS, and the record didn’t show that the Koodo sender sent those MMS.

A possible answer is an issue either with the software or app in the receiver phone. However, it is a phone from another carrier, and you didn’t have access to it either. So….

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Could it be an old message that was stuck and finally came through?

https://mashable.com/article/mystery-text-messages-sent-from-phones/

Could it be an old message that was stuck and finally came through?

https://mashable.com/article/mystery-text-messages-sent-from-phones/

I dont think so. There's so many of them and they just keep coming. Plus the tiny file size makes it unlikely I think.

4 year-old thread and noone can answer because it was so strange. You mentioned the Koodo sender didn’t send the MMS, and the record didn’t show that the Koodo sender sent those MMS.

A possible answer is an issue either with the software or app in the receiver phone. However, it is a phone from another carrier, and you didn’t have access to it either. So….

Yea, that's why I'm out of ideas and turned here. I'm just hoping it's not a virus or something trying to spread through the contact list