Koodo Community

Online ordering and activation process

So I'm looking at ordering the Iphone XR to replace my current 6S.  However since I've never ordered a phone online (always done it in the Koodoo retail shops) I've some questions as to how this will go. First of all let me start by saying I'm no "techie" and after looking at my questions this will become painfully obvious. 🙂

1. What does activation entail when buying a phone online? How does one activate ones new phone through this process? Is it done at the time of order or is it as simple as me inserting the sim card when I receive the phone?
  2. Is there a time gap/delay between service? I know when I order in the shop everything is done seamlessly so that when I walk out of the shop I can use my new phone immediately.
  3. In addition to buying the XR I also want to change my plan from my current $55 plan to the $45 plan with a visual VM add on. I'm assuming that the current plan is associated with my current sim card so I'm guessing that means that I'll be sent a new sim card with the new phone? 
  4. BTW, what happens to all my data when the new phone is activated? (text conversations, notes, voice memos, photos, files, reminders, voice messages, apps, etc etc etc) How is that transferred to my new phone?  
  5. Can I pay my existing /current tab balance at the same time as ordering the new phone and plan?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So I'm looking at ordering the Iphone XR to replace my current 6S.  However since I've never ordered a phone online (always done it in the Koodoo retail shops) I've some questions as to how this will go. First of all let me start by saying I'm no "techie" and after looking at my questions this will become painfully obvious. 🙂

1. What does activation entail when buying a phone online? How does one activate ones new phone through this process? Is it done at the time of order or is it as simple as me inserting the sim card when I receive the phone?

When they send the phone to you, they try and sync the arrival of the phone with the activation. Technically, you should receive your phone and SIM card already activated and the only thing you do is pop the SIM card in the phone.

1. Is there a time gap/delay between service? I know when I order in the shop everything is done seamlessly so that when I walk out of the shop I can use my new phone immediately.

Because sometimes shipping times may be shorter or longer, your phone might arrive already activated (This will end up in you paying for your service while you did not use it, but you can get it credited) or the activation might be a little bit late.

1. In addition to buying the XR I also want to change my plan from my current $55 plan to the $45 plan with a visual VM add on. I'm assuming that the current plan is associated with my current sim card so I'm guessing that means that I'll be sent a new sim card with the new phone? 

Yes, you will be sent a new SIM card with the phone, but since you are already a Koodo customer you can just pop in the old SIM card in the new phone and that's it. This renders what I said before useless. Meaning that you can just say that you want a phone with no SIM.

1. BTW, what happens to all my data when the new phone is activated? (text conversations, notes, voice memos, photos, files, reminders, voice messages, apps, etc etc etc) How is that transferred to my new phone?  

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210216 

1. Can I pay my existing /current tab balance at the same time as ordering the new phone and plan?

Yes

• In addition to buying the XR I also want to change my plan from my current $55 plan to the $45 plan with a visual VM add on. I'm assuming that the current plan is associated with my current sim card so I'm guessing that means that I'll be sent a new sim card with the new phone? 
  • Yes, you will be sent a new SIM card with the phone, but since you are already a Koodo customer you can just pop in the old SIM card in the new phone and that's it. This renders what I said before useless. Meaning that you can just say that you want a phone with no SIM.

Thanks for the response Robert, need a bit of clarification though. :thinking: 

So if I want to change my plan as I mentioned … you’re saying that the old sim card would still work? (as per the excerpt from your response above) Wouldn’t the old card be associated with the old plan? (or is the old card somehow “updated” to reflect the new plan?)

Colin

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No. The SIM card is associated with your account. If you order a phone with an existing account, they should technically not send you a SIM card. They will just upgrade your phone on your current account and plan as well. This SIM card is attached to your name. And not the plan. Is that clearer?

The only way they send you a new SIM card is if your order as a new customer an not as an existing one.

Got it! Thanks Robert! I hope your boss gives you a raise, your dog is happier and your kids love you more.  LIKE!! :grin:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So Robert's reply was good but it was based on signing up with a new line/account. 

Since you mentioned you went to a koodo retail shop in the past I would expect you are an existing customer. So the answers would be slightly different 

1. When you buy online it's as simple as it sound. Wje the phone arrives, it will come with a new sim, but you can just insert your current sim from Your old phone into your new phone

2. Since you are using your old sim, there is no gap in service. Since service is tied to your sim.

3. You plan is tied to your sim. If you change your plan on self serve it will update right away to your current sim

4. See Robert's reply

5. You will need to pay off your tab prior to getting your new tab. It will be added to your next bill when you choose to pay it off.

And to your follow up question, all new phones will Come with a koodo sim. Just keep this new sim as a backup Incase your sim dies on you

Awesome Dennis, thanks!

3. You plan is tied to your sim. If you change your plan on self serve it will update right away to your current sim

4. See Robert's reply

5. You will need to pay off your tab prior to getting your new tab. It will be added to your next bill when you choose to pay it off.

And to your follow up question, all new phones will Come with a koodo sim. Just keep this new sim as a backup Incase your sim dies on you.

Hey Dennis … I’ve been reviewing your response above and have one further clarification if you don’t mind.  My confusion lies in the somewhat contradictory (to my mind) response regarding the NEW plan that I intend to buy (with the new phone) and association with the sim cards. (new and old)

So I get the impression from your response that when I buy the new plan its instantly associated with the OLD sim card and thus I can just put this old card in the new phone and away I go.  However at the same time you’re saying that the NEW sim card that the new phone will come with can be used as “a backup”? So does that mean that the NEW card is also updated with all the CURRENT details? (new plan etc?)

If the answer is yes, does this mean that I can physically use BOTH phones simultaneously on the one account (each with its own sim) since both sims have the same information? Or does the “activation” of the new phone automatically “deactivate” the old phone?  Can ya sense my confusion?????  ARRRRGH! lol!     

Colin.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

4. See Robert's reply

And to your follow up question, all new phones will Come with a koodo sim. Just keep this new sim as a backup Incase your sim dies on you.

Hey Dennis … I’ve been reviewing your response above and have one further clarification if you don’t mind.  My confusion lies in the somewhat contradictory (to my mind) response regarding the NEW plan that I intend to buy (with the new phone) and association with the sim cards. (new and old)

So I get the impression from your response that when I buy the new plan its instantly associated with the OLD sim card and thus I can just put this old card in the new phone and away I go.  However at the same time you’re saying that the NEW sim card that the new phone will come with can be used as “a backup”? So does that mean that the NEW card is also updated with all the CURRENT details? (new plan etc?)

If the answer is yes, does this mean that I can physically use BOTH phones simultaneously on the one account (each with its own sim) since both sims have the same information? Or does the “activation” of the new phone automatically “deactivate” the old phone?  Can ya sense my confusion?????  ARRRRGH! lol!     

Colin.

The new SIM will not be linked to anything yet. It is a blank slate that can, in the future, be used to replace the existing sim card on your line, or on any other koodo postpaid line. It would only be registered to an account at that time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

4. See Robert's reply

Colin.

When you say you buy the new plan are you referring to changing your current plant to a newer plan or do you mean activating a new phone line so you will have 2?

The new sim is blank when it arrives with your phone (assuming you are upgrading) since you have a working sim. Only 1 sim for your 1 phone number can be active at a time. 

4. See Robert's reply

Colin.

When you say you buy the new plan are you referring to changing your current plant to a newer plan or do you mean activating a new phone line so you will have 2?

Yeah I’m gonna be changing the current plan to a newer plan.

Thanks