Koodo Community

Community

one irate mom

Koodo really needs to offer the ability to buy insurance on a new phone in Canada! I am a single parent of a 5 year old and a full-time student. I don't happen to have an extra 500, floating around to buy a replacement phone or pay off a tab on my new phone. Should that phone get lost or stolen. When I lived in the USA, I had the option of having insurance, so why don't you have it here? I am a responsible person, I have an otter box protector on my I phone and I don't let my child anywhere near my phone. But I left my phone at her school, in a rush and it was lost yesterday. Well, this cell-phone is my lifeline, I gave up my land line to consolidate costs. What good is this, if my cell phone is lost and I cannot afford to replace it? Luckily a good Samaritan turned in the phone. But I have to say, KOODO you were no help when I called yesterday from London Drugs, where I had purchased my phone originally. [b]Oh sorry Lady, we don't offer any insurance or replacement you will have to pay off your tab and buy another phone, is what I was told. NOT HELPFUL OR REALISTIC. Guess what, after I finish school and graduate, I will pay off this tab and drop your service. Shame on Koodo, for not offering a basic service and to people who really need it.

28 replies

Userlevel 3
Personally never one for insurance and this won't help you much now, but if you buy your device from a 3rd party seller like futureshop or Bestbuy I beleive they will offer the type of insurance you're looking for
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Agreed with Boolanger, insurance is usually a money grab. We can't avoid it for our house and car but we're offered insurance left, right and center. Even our cats are being spammed to take out vet's insurance and the terms are brutal. But if people want insurance, I too believe you can get it just about anywhere but I wonder if it's worth it. Here is a nice article about the pros and cons and possibilities: http://canadianbudgetbinder.com/2013/04/25/do-you-really-need-cell-phone-insurance/
Userlevel 7
You're also not forced to buy another $500 device. You could get a cheaper phone to buy in the mean time until it becomes more affordable to upgrade to a better phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
- " Shame on Koodo, for not offering a basic service and to people who really need it." I don't get it... Why is Koodo to be shamed? Because they don't offer insurance or they didn't offer you any discount/ free replacement on your stolen/lost phone?
Userlevel 2
Why is a service provider always blamed when someone runs up against a problem in their life, usually of their own making?
Userlevel 6
Trace wrote:

Why is a service provider always blamed when someone runs up against a problem in their life, usu...

I like your thinking! Finally, common sense!
Userlevel 6
Losing a phone sux!! I get panic attacks when I can't find it around the house but not sure if insurance would solve the problem. It's a nice thing to have for some people
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
We need less insurance in our lives, not more.
This may not be an answer you like but the truth hurts....you said your responsible but you left your phone.....if you dont have money to replace it, its over your means in the first place, and you should buy a prepaid flip there 50$ and give you free 25$ time....and lastly this is clearly a problem you created and now you are mad at....not you? hmmm
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Trevor Newark wrote:

This may not be an answer you like but the truth hurts....you said your responsible but you left ...

Awww, sokay, Trevor, let's drop it now 🙂 No need to keep rubbing it in and it's been almost a week since she posted this 🙂 It is sad enough that she lost her phone!
Trevor Newark wrote:

This may not be an answer you like but the truth hurts....you said your responsible but you left ...

i dont think its ever enough people like this need to realize when there wrong. happens on the road all day people driving around cutting others off always in the right because there "entitled"..this post was not well thought out and she was obviously far to upset to think rationally and not take it out on other people especially when somone returned the phone...if she had of lost it, she might of learned somthing....unfortunatly some people only learn the hard way
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Trevor Newark wrote:

True, but that doesn't mean it is our job to grab their neck and rub their nose through it... let's just stick to the subject (phone insurance) and by all means give your opinion about that, without telling her how "wrong" she is about the choices she might have made. It's been six days since she posted an angry rant and it's all been said already, let's leave her alone for now.
Userlevel 1
Trevor Newark wrote:

Stop your cyber bullying
Trevor Newark wrote:

The truth does not hurt, but your opinion is simply YOUR truth, not mine!! I am simply asking the question about WHY does KOODO, not offer me the CUSTOMER the choice (MINE) the ability to purchase phone replacement insurance? What is it to you, if I elect to purchase this product or not. I think as a responsible owner, I should have this option. Accidents happen, do they not even to very responsible people, which is why a responsible person would have insurance to guard against these mishaps.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Trevor Newark wrote:

You have the option to add it to your homeowner's or tenant's insurance. One of the problems with the carrier offering insurance is they would likely contract with a single insurance provider, limiting your choice, and likely be vilified for the offering they provide as are the big box electronics stores for the add-on insurance they offer. Given the small number of folks who would choose specific phone insurance, the cost might be prohibitive, so again better to have it as part of your home insurance.
Trevor Newark wrote:

well said thank you
Solution. If you are on a tight budged get a phone for $100.00 not $800.00 it will be a lot easier to replace money wise. then you will have less of a reason to blame every one around you for your screw-ups
Kris wrote:

Solution. If you are on a tight budged get a phone for $100.00 not $800.00 it will be a lot ea...

if im on a tight budget i dont buy a mercedes...see the relation
My phone did not cost 500.00 or 800.00 that would not have been a good purchase for me. I am not blaming anyone for the loss of my phone. I am simply asking the question about WHY does KOODO, not offer me the CUSTOMER the choice (MINE), the ability to purchase phone replacement insurance? What is it to you, if I want to elect to purchase product replacement insurance or not. I think as a responsible owner, I should have this option. Accidents happen, do they not, even to very responsible people. Which is why a responsible person would have insurance to guard against these mishaps.
s nichols wrote:

My phone did not cost 500.00 or 800.00 that would not have been a good purchase for me. I am not ...

That makes sense. You have to understand, in you original comment it sounded like you were blaming them for the mishap.
Userlevel 1
s nichols wrote:

My phone did not cost 500.00 or 800.00 that would not have been a good purchase for me. I am not ...

You may as well quit. All you are getting is being bullied
s nichols wrote:

you say all your doing is simply asking but as the topic title infers, your irate which goes along with your dialogue....not sure why everyone has that bully attitude... i havnt bullied anyone lol...like i said the truth hurts because people are offended when they mess up get mad say somthing and regret it later by saying im "simply".... i was simply offering easy solutions to your problem 😉
s nichols wrote:

cant afford it? dont buy it.. if you do dont get mad when you lose it
s nichols wrote:

Trevor Newark thank you for all of the amusing short sighted comments. I can be irate, if I want to, so can you. It is called freedom of speech and thought. I am not offended by your comments, it is simply your opinion.
Userlevel 6
s nichols wrote:

Looks like you had iphone, that they do sell "apple care" not sure if it's good for lost phones though.