Koodo Community

Community

Onavo Extend (iPhone App) allows for Pandora and US Netflix use

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

24 replies

Userlevel 5
Hmm, thanks for the tip! I'll have to try it for NHL Gamecenter!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jorden wrote:

Let us know if it works.
Userlevel 5
Jorden wrote:

Will do. My local/blocked out game will be on in 30 mins. Granted I have a paid subscription (and I doubt this will do anything to circumvent that) but if I can watch the blacked out games this is staying on my device!
Userlevel 5
Jorden wrote:

Didn't seem to work, said I was in a blackout zone and wouldn't load the game. Tried on 3G and wifi.
Userlevel 5
Jorden wrote:

Didn't seem to work, said I was in a blackout zone and wouldn't load the game. Tried on 3G and wifi.
Userlevel 5
I've had Onavo Extend but I didn't know you could download applications that were not available for Canada (ex: Pandora). That's really interesting! Thanks, I'll definitely try it out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Lee wrote:

I've had Onavo Extend but I didn't know you could download applications that were not available f...

You have to switch your iTunes address to a US one. Fake address is fine, I just change my province to a state and a corresponding city and zip. Payment method isn't mandatory. When you're done and have saved your changes, log out of your Apple ID on your phone, then log back in. You're now in the US store. Download Pandora. Reverse the process again through iTunes. Your downloaded apps will remain on the phone.
John Lee wrote:

I've had Onavo Extend but I didn't know you could download applications that were not available f...

I LOVE YOU.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Lee wrote:

After extended use, I've noticed that Onavo periodically interferes with the stability of my data connection (both mobile and WiFi), so I don't have the profile loaded at all times. I keep the app on the phone and install the profile only when I want to use its US benefits, after which I remove the certificate.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Lee wrote:

This issue seems to be resolved. I no longer get data hang ups.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
US Netflix is the only one worth it, the Canadian version is absolutely terrible. Still Netflix isn't worth paying for when there are many other free apps & other ways to get movies & TV Shows on your device. Well for Android at least.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

US Netflix is the only one worth it, the Canadian version is absolutely terrible. Still Netflix i...

Not many of them legal and $8/month for Netflix and $5 for the VPN is worth it to me. I don't have cable or satellite tv.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm very curous about this and i'll give it a try! Any tips on how to set this up? EDIT : Is this only working on 3G?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The Onavo app is only for 3G/LTE. Visit www.unblock-us.com for a home internet solution.
This didn't work for me, maybe anyone could help? I installed Onavo Extend, then deleted the profile from the Settings.app. Reinstalled it using Onavo Extend settings. I then enabled VPN and switched to 3G, however, Pandora still says that their service isn't available in my country. I'd appreciate any help! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hans Henkel wrote:

This didn't work for me, maybe anyone could help? I installed Onavo Extend, then deleted the p...

Remove the Onavo profile (settings > general > profiles). Reinstall the profile from within the Onavo Extend app (via in-app settings menu. Restart Pandora app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Onavo Extend is also available for Android now and has been for a while but I forgot about this post so I didn't update it. You can now get your US content fix over mobile data without rooting your Android.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

Onavo Extend is also available for Android now and has been for a while but I forgot about this p...

No need to root anyways Ivan theres been a bunch of VPN services on Android for at least a couple years now. Use to use a couple to get American Netflix, its so much better than the Canadian one that full of garbage
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

Onavo Extend is also available for Android now and has been for a while but I forgot about this p...

When I was last doing it, I needed to root my phone because I wanted to change the DNS settings so that I could use my unblock-us account that I use at home. I didn't want to pay for another VPN service just for mobile. Hotspot Shield was free, but it was garbage. Onavo works on both iOS and Android.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

Ah OK, I get what your saying now.
Does it still work? I get "this title is not available to watch instantly" on US content.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Vincent Philippon wrote:

Does it still work? I get "this title is not available to watch instantly" on US content.

I'll look into this once as soon as I can.
Vincent Philippon wrote:

I tried using it on my S2X on CM10.2.0...no Luck. I get an error "We've encountered an unexpected error: %d"
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Vincent Philippon wrote:

I guess it just doesn't work for this purpose anymore. I re-installed it and nothing.