Koodo Community

Community

Solved

On Feb 26th 2016 I will be travelling to Florida for 60 days - would like to text and talk - what add-on plan do you suggest?

13 replies

Userlevel 6
You would need to grab the 30 day US roaming talk and text.
And then renew it after 30 days for another 30 days.

30 days

$45
Unlimited minutes
Unlimited outgoing texts
Free incoming texts

To activate: Text 30TNT to 4545
Thanks Mitchell for your quick reply.....that's what I thought I should get, and glad you confirmed it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Diane. May I suggest unlocking your phone and buying a SIM card there? Like that you could use data too!
Robert wrote:

Hello Diane. May I suggest unlocking your phone and buying a SIM card there? Like that you could ...

what do you mean about 'unlocking your phone'? Forgive my ignorance....Stopping my prepaid program while I'm away?

Userlevel 6
Robert wrote:

Hello Diane. May I suggest unlocking your phone and buying a SIM card there? Like that you could ...

if you bought your phone through Koodo it is probably locked to their network. You can pay them or a third-party service to unlock it for you so you can use another carrier's network. If you bought your own phone independently, or transferred it from a carrier other than Telus/Koodo then it is already unlocked.
Robert wrote:

No, I did buy my iphone 4s at a Koodo boutique 2 years ago and have been on a prepaid ever since and.....2 years ago, I bought a roaming add-on for an extra $45.00 for a month, while on a cruise and a few weeks stay in Florida. So if I understand correctly, I just call Koodo and ask them to unlock it for 2 months and start up my prepaid program again upon returning to Canada?

-
Userlevel 4
I've been wondering...  I might be in this situation soon.  Can one put their phone on the $15/month holiday hold and get a US roaming add-on?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Danny wrote:

I've been wondering...  I might be in this situation soon.  Can one put their phone on ...

Yeah but you won't be able to get your plan back. You would need to take what's offered when you come back!
Userlevel 4
Danny wrote:

I've been wondering...  I might be in this situation soon.  Can one put their phone on ...

Thanks.

Well.  I currently have one of the regular plans, so that wouldn't be a problem 🙂

Thanks, also, for answering another question I had but didn't ask yet - What happens if you take a special plan, move to a regular one, can you get your special one back if it's not being offered anymore.  I'm inferring from what you just said that the answer is "no"
Danny wrote:

Actually, I do use prepaid and what happened to roamin add-ons? not available anymore? - I like the idea of unlocking my phone and buying a local SIM - good idea! Thanks Ray !

Userlevel 7
Danny wrote:

Koodo has never offered roaming on prepaid.
Userlevel 6
If you are using prepaid now, there is no roaming. Unlock your phone before you go and buy a local SIM when you arrive there, or use Roam Mobility.
Ray wrote:

If you are using prepaid now, there is no roaming. Unlock your phone before you go and buy a loca...

...this is definitely what I will do.....thanks Ray