Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Not Receiving Two-Factor Authentication SMS Codes

I am a new Koodo prepaid customer, using an iPhone 4. I have been trying to set up two-factor authentication on several websites but I am not receiving any of the SMS confirmation codes they send. These are major websites and they all say they support SMS to Canadian carriers. I have waited more than an hour and have not received a single SMS from these websites. Is this a known issue with Koodo or am I doing something wrong? I am able to send and receive regular SMS messages to my friends/family, just not receive the confirmation SMS codes.

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi Kent, I'm on prepaid too and for me it works at least on Twitter, so can you tell us what websites you tried it with? I could test a site for you if you like 🙂
Userlevel 7
I think the reason is that those confirmation codes count as 'premium messages' which is not supported on koodo prepaid. http://help.koodomobile.com/prepaid/messaging/am-i-charged-for-premium-messages-on-prepaid 😞 EDIT: nvm it seems like it works for Sophia!
I just tried Twitter and was able to receive a message from them. Here are some other services that I'm not having success with (for security reasons, I've listed more services than I'm actually using): - LastPass - Apple ID - Facebook - Amazon Web Services - Google account - Yahoo Mail - PayPal Thanks for the quick replies!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ok for most of those services I'm using Google's Authenticator (works on my Windows phone as well), Kent, but I can test a few of them on my Koodo prepaid number (it's in BC if that helps). Hang tight 🙂 Daniel, your answer was actually very good so let's put it to the test 😃
Sophia, ironically I was actually trying to set up one of those authentication apps but it also needed an SMS confirmation which I couldn't receive!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Very strange that you couldn't get it to work, Kent! I finished the test and the results are: - LastPass : works, no issues - Apple ID : not tested - Facebook : works, no issues - Amazon Web Services : not tested - Google account : works, no issues - Yahoo Mail : works, no issues - PayPal : works, no issues In summary all the services I tested worked - not sure why yours would be stubborn. All I can think of is that your number is too new, or was ported in from another service perhaps?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Very strange that you couldn't get it to work, Kent! I finished the test and the results are: ...

I have now enabled Apple ID 2-factor authorization as well (they made me wait 3 days) and that too worked. Hope your service will be fixed soon too 🙂
Thanks for testing Sophia! I have been a customer for a few weeks. My number was ported from a VOIP service so perhaps there are some lingering issues with that. The port was completed on August 26 according to Koodo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Kent wrote:

Thanks for testing Sophia! I have been a customer for a few weeks. My number was ported from a ...

That probably explains it then, Kent. Let's hope this issue will sort itself soon... you could always call Koodo (*611) to see if the process can be speeded up but I doubt it 😞
Kent wrote:

Thanks for testing Sophia! I have been a customer for a few weeks. My number was ported from a ...

What department should I try to get in touch with at Koodo and would calling in about this issue involve a charge?
Userlevel 7
Kent wrote:

Calling tech support is always free.
Just spent 70 minutes on the line with Koodo support. Tried multiple things but still not receiving any security codes. They are supposed to look into it further and get back to me, but this is very frustrating. I already waited a week to get my number ported, and now it seems it is still caught in limbo. Unfortunately they couldn't confirm whether this was a temporary issue related to number porting or if it will always be the case.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Kent wrote:

Just spent 70 minutes on the line with Koodo support. Tried multiple things but still not receiv...

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that! I'm wondering if that has anything to do with your number previously been a VOIP#... I once heard that Canada treats VOIP numbers different somehow but not sure if that is true or not. What you could try.......... buy a prepaid SIM off of eBay for $6 or so, and activate that with a brand new number. You'll get your $20 credit so you won't be out of pocket really. I'm not sure how attached you are to your current number but that might be an option - not ideal I know but at least you'll be able to switch on 2-way verification (and then switch over to Google Authenticator).
Just to close the loop on this, my phone number began receiving the SMS messages recently. It was about 6 weeks after originally porting my number over. I'm not sure if Koodo did anything (I doubt it) or if some cache finally expired which was misdirecting the messages, but at least it is working now!
Kent wrote:

Just to close the loop on this, my phone number began receiving the SMS messages recently. It wa...

I should add that I also swiched from a micro-SIM to a nano-SIM as I was upgrading my phone, so perhaps this helped with getting the SMS messages to come through properly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Kent wrote:

Just to close the loop on this, my phone number began receiving the SMS messages recently. It wa...

WOW that sure took its time! I remember mine suddenly started working too but don't think it took 6 weeks... ah well all is well that ends well 🙂 Oh and thanks for letting us know the final outcome... it's rare we ever hear back so really appreciate it 😃
Userlevel 2
Kent wrote:

For those looking at reference material., I posted the same issue here: https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/unable-to-receive-apple-authentication-sms

The long and short of it is that not many people realize that Apple doesn't use the traditional SMS "lanes" to send 2 step verification codes.

Apple is sending the verification code directly to your former cellular provider. There may be issues with Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNO) such as Koodo resulting in these delays until Apple gets an update that you moved to a different carrier. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Kent wrote:

In some instances, Apple is not using a cellular carrier at all. The verification code can be sent to another Apple device, such as iPad or Mac, or to a landline.