Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Not getting texts on iPhone 5c

I am a new koodo customer and switched to both koodo and iPhone based on recommendations from family and friends. I am almost happy however it has come to my attention that I can send texts but am not receiving texts from at least 5 of my contacts. I spent 90 mins on the phone with a tech support guy (from Romania) and basically nothing was resolved. I have reset my networks, taken the contacts off and added them again, turned off my phone, shut off iMessage (even though at least 2 aren't iPhones) I am getting super frustrated as I hate change and switching took a lot of talking myself into and now I am missing my old (ancient) phone!!!! Help!!!!

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Are the 5 contacts from the same provider?
I am not sure but I do know that the one I do know of is the same provider as my mom and I get her texts. All the time!! lol.
Userlevel 7
Do the people you're having trouble receiving from have iPhones as well? Maybe they're sending them as iMessage and you don't have WiFi or data turned on to receive them. Stupid iMessage. I see this problem at least once almost every time I log on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

Do the people you're having trouble receiving from have iPhones as well? Maybe they're sending th...

"shut off iMessage (even though at least 2 aren't iPhones)" So some are, some aren't! Usually the problem is the other way around!
Jonathan I wrote:

Do the people you're having trouble receiving from have iPhones as well? Maybe they're sending th...

Even when iMessage is off I'm getting nothing from them. I am almost positive none of them are iPhones. iMessage is working fine with those that have iPhones. But SMS is working for some of my non-iPhone contacts as well.
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

Are your friends able to send messages to other people that they have in their contact lists? It does sound like an issue on their end of things, if they are using a different service provider sometimes the voice network will not allow text messages to push through to other service providers. Rogers has issues sometimes with sending messages to Bell phones or Telus phones from certain areas, so it very well may be their problem not yours.
Jonathan I wrote:

I seem to be the only one they all have issues with. I can ask them, but why would I be able to get texts from my mom who is on the same network as them? If they are all on that provider it would be my old provider- can I call them or do each of my friends need to call separately?
Jonathan I wrote:

Oh wait! My mom has an iPhone so maybe iMessage is the reason that works?
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

Sometimes it effects a few people at once or a whole bunch, it might be just a minor issue on their end. They would need to contact their service provider, it wouldn't be something that you can do for their phones. Curtules has a good suggestion so you can try that option, but if it doesn't work then your friends may need to try restarting their phones.
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

You're probably right because if iMessage is working then that is using the data network and not the voice network.
Userlevel 6
Jonathan I wrote:

That might be it. Did you transfer your number from another provider in to Koodo by chance?
Jonathan I wrote:

Yup
Userlevel 6
Jonathan I wrote:

Thought so, how are you for receiving calls?
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

Sometimes calling might not be affected when they have issues with text messaging but there is a chance.
Jonathan I wrote:

I thought it was ok. But one of my friends just tried to call me (I have been able to call her) and when I accepted the call there was nothing.
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

It sounds like an issue on their side of things then. They should call their service provider from a land line and see if they can troubleshoot the issue.
Userlevel 6
As a general troubleshooting step, try toggling airplane mode on then off and perform a test. If that doesn't work, grab another phone and call Koodo a 1-866-995-6636 (or just 611 if the other phone is a Koodo) and choose option 6 to have a handsome Tech support rep look a little deeper into this.
I will try the airplane mode thing but I have already spent over an hour with a very nice tech support guy with a very enjoyable accent! lol!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
tulipdjc wrote:

I will try the airplane mode thing but I have already spent over an hour with a very nice tech su...

Usually, going to an Apple store might also solve your problem! Maybe they will even replace it!!
I just called my old provider and there was a "port" issue. So I need to call koodo and have them follow through. Thanks so much!!! I'll let you know if it gets resolved today!!
Userlevel 6
tulipdjc wrote:

I just called my old provider and there was a "port" issue. So I need to call koodo and have them...

Thought so, sometimes new "port-ins" experience difficulties with texts. Even when the number ports in and you can receive calls, but texts are still sometimes still routed to the old provider. A problem that usually fixes itself, but it doesn't hurt to call Tech to possibly speed up the process.
tulipdjc wrote:

I just called my old provider and there was a "port" issue. So I need to call koodo and have them...

Still not working. 45 mins on the phone with a tech. 😞
tulipdjc wrote:

I am now waiting on a 72 hr ticket.
Userlevel 6
tulipdjc wrote:

Oh good, so they escalated it. The 72 hour timeline is just an approximation. Give them a least 72 hours, but it could be fixed sooner.
tulipdjc wrote:

The texting issue is fixed and the calling issue should be cleared up soon!!! Thanks for your help so I didn't feel so useless!!!