Koodo Community

Community

Solved

No service international roaming

Userlevel 1
I bought the 40 international roaming add-on, and received a text saying it was active. Now I have arrived in Italy and I have no service.

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Aara. Go to self serve. And add the international voice roaming add on then you should be good to.
Chadwick wrote:

Hello Aara. Go to self serve. And add the international voice roaming add on then you should be ...

Where can I find the voice roaming I could not find
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chadwick wrote:

Hello Aara. Go to self serve. And add the international voice roaming add on then you should be ...

Here are the steps I have:
Sign into the Koodo self serve website. Add the free “International Voice Roaming" and / or the free “International Data Roaming” add on. Also make sure Pay-per-use International Long Distance is active. Then turn airplane mode on and off. When your phone connects it should be working. Buying any of the Travel Add-ons on a postpaid plan only nets you a savings on your roaming fees, it does not change anything about the ability of the phone to roam. Without the Voice / Text / Data Add-on, you can still roam at pay-per-use prices. On a pre-paid plan, the US Roaming Boosters last until consumed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chadwick wrote:

Alma, if you can't find the voice roaming, pay per use, etc. add-on(s) in the list of add-ons availiable to you just send a message to the Koodo rep's via facebook or twitter dm. Some customers simply don't have access to them so it may be possible this is the case for you.
Userlevel 1
I am a monthly customer. I only see two options. International Tex (15 dollars) and International data, minutes and text (40 dollars), which I have already added. I don't see a voice roaming add on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This is what Chad is talking about. It is under your add-ons list.

Userlevel 1
Thank you for that, but it doesn't help me, since it is for pay-for -use. I am a monthly customer and cannot add this add on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Aara Suksi wrote:

Thank you for that, but it doesn't help me, since it is for pay-for -use. I am a monthly customer...

Unless Bernard's add-on is activated, you will get no service at all. It simply unlocks a block that is in place by default for international transactions.

http://help.koodomobile.com/coverage-long-distance-and-travelling/travelling

Re-start the phone. If you still have no success, download Fongo. They give you a real Canadian phone # and you can call anywhere in Canada for free, regardless of where you are - providing that you have a wifi connection. You can then use this to call customer service at 1 (866) 995-6636. If you arrive overseas and have no service, this may be the only way to speak to someone at Koodo. [Thanks to Ivan].

https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/international-roaming-plan-doesnt-work
Userlevel 4
Aara Suksi wrote:

Thank you for that, but it doesn't help me, since it is for pay-for -use. I am a monthly customer...

Form overseas you cannot call an 800 number.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Aara Suksi wrote:

Yes you can if you use Skype
Userlevel 4
Aara Suksi wrote:

I cannot swear on that but Europe has its own 800 system and the two systems are not compatible. I do not know how Skype can handle the two systems. I know for sure that two years ago it was not possible to call North Americans 800 Mr. with Skype.
Userlevel 6
Hey Aara.  Can you please try now to turn off/on the phone and test it out? I did some updates in the system. Thanks!
Userlevel 1
Melissa wrote:

Hey Aara.  Can you please try now to turn off/on the phone and test it out? I did some updat...

That worked! Thanks very much.
Userlevel 4
Aara, the easiest way to go is through an Italian wireless provider. You can get a local SIM (usually I get TIM) and $40 give you lots of talk minutes and lots of data to use with Skype, Whatsup, and similar, just in case your talk minutes are not enough. It is a "pay as you go" system, many Italians gave up their landlines and stick to cellphone now. The service is excellent, better than in Canada. Curiosity: while in Canada you have to pay for airtime, when you receive a call, in Italy many wireless plans give you money (not much, but....) when you receive a call. Go figure!
Userlevel 1
Tiz wrote:

Aara, the easiest way to go is through an Italian wireless provider. You can get a local SIM (usu...

I would do this, but I am on a monthly plan with my provider, so would have to get my phone unlocked, I think. I am just getting the hang of this whole international thing, but (see below), right now my problem is fixed, and I have the service for emergencies. 
Userlevel 4
Tiz wrote:

Aara, the easiest way to go is through an Italian wireless provider. You can get a local SIM (usu...

Auch, yes you need an unlocked phone. Or, for 20 Euro, you can buy a phone just for voice.
Userlevel 1
Dear Melissa,
thank you! That did the trick. Much appreciated.