Koodo Community

Community

Solved

No group message?

I have an iPhone 5s and it does not give me the group message option when I go to settings>messages My plan has unlimited SMS and MMS and I have data, why doesn't it work?

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
When you send a group message, just add multiple people to the To: field and it will send to your group at the same time. However for them to reply to the group, everyone needs to be using imessage
Dennis wrote:

When you send a group message, just add multiple people to the To: field and it will send to your...

why does everyone need to have iMessage? everyone in the group has an iPhone except for one, and the other iPhone users can receive the group messages in an actual group text (they have the option under settings) but I can't? I don't even have the option to turn group messages on or off when I go to the messages settings
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Moska, Ok so it looks like you are not the only one with a Koodo iphone missing the option Settings-Messages-Group messages (I don't see it in my phone, nor our Koodo contact). Our contact will check it out with SMS team and see if they can confirm if Koodo supports this function.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Moska, Ok so it looks like you are not the only one with a Koodo iphone missing the option Set...

Not on my Telus phone either. Maybe it is a carrier specific option, or a carrier adjustable option?
Userlevel 7
Dennis wrote:

Moska, Ok so it looks like you are not the only one with a Koodo iphone missing the option Set...

Same on my TELUS iPhone
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Apple's comment on the matter: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202724 and https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204065
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi Moska, It seems that Koodo/Telus does not support Group MMS on iOS. However some Android Devices do support Group MMS on their network. Fido does not seem to support Group MMS on iOS either. So it looks like you are outta luck (as am I) if you want to send a group MMS on your iphone.
Dennis wrote:

Hi Moska, It seems that Koodo/Telus does not support Group MMS on iOS. However some Android De...

Thank you! Although it's not what I wanted to hear, it's good to know why.
Dennis wrote:

Hi Moska, It seems that Koodo/Telus does not support Group MMS on iOS. However some Android De...

I've got a galaxy s5 and have been group chatting with a Telus iphone 5se.  And he can group chat with us just fine.  He has the setting for "group messaging" see attached photo.  So if Telus can do it, why can't Koodo?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

This thread is 2 years old. It is very possible that Koodo has since added this feature now.
Dennis wrote:

No koodo hasn't. I just switched from Bell to Koodo, because Bell no longers supports the group chat. All that did was get me a cheaper plan, still no group chat option in settings and customer services is no help. ... They weren't any help at Bell either. Apparently this is a permanent change to most carriers, no reason behind it, at least not one anyone at these companies can tell me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

The reason behind it is likely cost. There are so many online options for group chatting that the carriers feel like it's not worth the effort.
Dennis wrote:

I'm curious s to why that would cost them so much. I agree that's probably the case, but it seems like such a minor thing to cut out if it is cost related.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

@Vincent
  And that may be exactly why - it is a tool with a minor number of users, and the cost to maintain it exceeds the value to the company.

Dennis wrote:

I have an iPhone on Koodo. My carrier settings were updated this week, and now group chat is working for me.