Koodo Community

Community

Solved

new phone

Is there an american carrier like verizon or at&t that does not require me to have my phone unlocked if i want to use it with koodo or doni need tonnuy an unlocked phone?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Every carrier has phones locked by default. Some are sold unlocked like nexus phones. T-mobile will unlock two phones per account per year IIRC. I assume MetroPCS is the same. Not sure about any MVNOs. Most times its cheaper to unlock the phone yourself if the carrier doesn't do it for free unless it's iPhone. You can unlock pretty well an phone via 3rd party unlock providers a well. It very easy. EBay is a good starting point.
Userlevel 6
Hi Guillaume,

Before you get your American phone unlocked, please check first if it can be used with Koodo, using the link below:

http://help.koodomobile.com/getting-started-with-koodo/sim-cards-and-non-koodo-phones/how-do-i-know-...

Keep in mind, Verizon phones may not fully with Canadian network. 
Thanks a lot but the problem is that I don't actually have this phone. I am just thinking about buying one to replace my 5s and there is much more offer if I search for a verizon phone then a koodo one.
Userlevel 6
Guillaume Moisan wrote:

Thanks a lot but the problem is that I don't actually have this phone. I am just thinking about b...

Just make sure that before you purchase the phone, ask for the IMEI and see if it will work with Koodo by using the link i've provided on my earlier post. Otherwise, there is a chance that the Verizon phone won't work because they work on CDMA.
Guillaume Moisan wrote:

Thanks a lot but the problem is that I don't actually have this phone. I am just thinking about b...

Thanks guys it was really helpful:)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Be weary of Verizon phones. Only the newest will work without issues. Definitely make use of willmyphonework.net to make sure it will work on Koodo if you're looking at Verizon phones. Might I suggest if you're on a budget to look at BLU's high end selection or Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro via geekbuying.com or anywhere else with the international edition? You could also go on the hunt via Kijiji or Facebook buy/sell groups for something like a Moto x play for cheap. You can also buy Telus phones without needing to unlock at all. And as I said there's unlock codes easily obtainable for phones from other carriers in Canada as well. Only thing about buying from the US is sales taxes and potentially brokerage fees are added