Koodo Community
Question

Need to activate new phone

My boyfriend bought me an Iphone 11 from a Bell store, and bought it outright. He paid the full amount, so the phone is completely paid off. I am going to pay the rest of the remaining tab balance on my current Iphone and i want to switch to this new phone he bought me, but i dont know what to do next. My question is, how do i activate this new phone? Am I able to do this through Koodo, or do I have to have it unlocked by Bell first? It has no sim card, do I order one online? Not sure what to do here. Thanks in advance for any help!!

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Did you try put your current Koodo SIM on the new phone?  ( I believe you have a nano size SIM)

You don't have to pay off your current Tab to use different phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

My boyfriend bought me an Iphone 11 from a Bell store, and bought it outright. He paid the full amount, so the phone is completely paid off. I am going to pay the rest of the remaining tab balance on my current Iphone and i want to switch to this new phone he bought me, but i dont know what to do next. My question is, how do i activate this new phone? Am I able to do this through Koodo, or do I have to have it unlocked by Bell first? It has no sim card, do I order one online? Not sure what to do here. Thanks in advance for any help!!

You don’t need to pay the remaining balance from your current phone. That will serve no purpose since the phone is already bought outright from Bell. The phones ususally come unlocked so you can just put the old SIM card in the new phone as Mayumi suggested. Need help with that? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hello Alleshia,

You don’t need to pay off your current tab, if you don’t want to do it. Any device sold after Aug 29, 2017 must be sold unlocked so you should be able to use the Koodo SIM card with this new device without any problem. 

All the best, 

Helen

@Helen Koodo thank you for replying! i tried to put my old sim into my new phone and it did not work, it said i needed a sim to go with the phone. here is exactly what it said- ‘sim not supported, The sim that you currently have installed in this Iphone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. this is not a hardware issue with the Iphone. Please insert another sim card from a supported carrier or request that this iphone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact apple for more information.” 

So with that said, what would be the best thing for me to do?

@Mayumi I did try that, my current phone is an iphone 8 that i purchased from walmart. not sure if that has anything to do with why it worked or not. but i tried to put my old sim into my new phone and it did not work, it said i needed a sim to go with the phone. here is exactly what it said- ‘sim not supported, The sim that you currently have installed in this Iphone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. this is not a hardware issue with the Iphone. Please insert another sim card from a supported carrier or request that this iphone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact apple for more information.”

hi @Robert T 

i tried to put my old sim into my new phone and it did not work, it said i needed a sim to go with the phone. here is exactly what it said- ‘sim not supported, The sim that you currently have installed in this Iphone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. this is not a hardware issue with the Iphone. Please insert another sim card from a supported carrier or request that this iphone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact apple for more information.”

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Mayumi I did try that, my current phone is an iphone 8 that i purchased from walmart. not sure if that has anything to do with why it worked or not. but i tried to put my old sim into my new phone and it did not work, it said i needed a sim to go with the phone. here is exactly what it said- ‘sim not supported, The sim that you currently have installed in this Iphone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. this is not a hardware issue with the Iphone. Please insert another sim card from a supported carrier or request that this iphone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact apple for more information.”

What do you mean by old SIM?

You mean a SIM from your current iPhone 8?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Then the phone was not unlocked by Bell. Contact them with the IMEI from the back of the box to get it unlocked.

@Mayumi yes my sim from my current iphone 8

@David AKU do you know if they will charge me to do that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@David AKU do you know if they will charge me to do that?

They shouldn't change you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It's puzzled me tho…

"any device sold after Aug 29, 2017 must be sold unlocked"...  But, my friend bought a phone ( not iPhone)from virgin less than 2years ago needed to unlock to use it with different provider too... They didn't charge my friend. Just gave them IMEI and gave you a code. 

It means some carriers still selling locked phone...?

@Mayumi I do find that odd aswell. it seems as if some carriers are still selling locked phones. I will just have to call Bell and explain that I tried to use it and hopefully they will unlock it 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi,

On June 15, 2017, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission has announced upcoming changes to the Wireless code of conduct. Starting December 1, 2017 major changes to wireless code were made: 

• Prohibition on unlocking fees and requirement that all devices provided as part of a wireless contract must be unlocked.
  • Consent to use additional data / data roaming must be made by the account holder or authorized user.
  • 15 days trial period; Usage allotment increased to one-half of the monthly allotment in the monthly plan and others.

I advise to contact Bell and ask them to unlock this device because this is the only explanation that i can find for this issue. 

Regards,

Helen

@Mayumi once the phone is unlocked when i switch my sim from my iphone 8 to the iphone 11 will that transfer all my pictures and info to my new phone? Or do i have to do this some other way

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Bell policy was to unlock the phone at the time of “activation”. https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/08/13/bell-returns-to-stocking-carrier-locked-phones-at-retail-locations/

You can try to unlock your iPhone by putting your Koodo SIM in the iphone and Reset the phone to its factory settings. (General » Reset » Reset all contents and settings). The phone would have to be activated again (with your Koodo SIM) and could be unlocked.

If that doesn’t work, you would need to contact Bell.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Mayumi once the phone is unlocked when i switch my sim from my iphone 8 to the iphone 11 will that transfer all my pictures and info to my new phone? Or do i have to do this some other way

To transfer the contents you'll need to do a backup and restore either through itunes or icloud. I believer the phone walls you through the process as part of the setup.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

For contacts and pictures

1. Backup : https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT203977
  2. Restore : https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204184