Koodo Community

Community

Solved

My tab is 105$ and would like to get an iPhone 4S in the medium tab. How much would it cost?

I would like to get an iPhone 4S and I have to pay 105$ off my tab. How much would it cost me if went with a medium tab?

21 replies

Userlevel 6
Hi Alex! You first have to pay out your current Tab ($105 + taxes) Then, you pay $150 + taxes for the iPhone 4S. The remaining $300 becomes your new TabMedium and progressively gets lower as the months go by, until it's completely gone by the 24th month (or earlier, depending on your plan). Don't forget there's a $5 monthly surcharge for TabMedium on your plan. The plan itself also needs to be $30 or more!
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

Hi Alex! You first have to pay out your current Tab ($105 + taxes) Then, you pay $150 + tax...

David, Would it be a better price to go to a large tab and pay 10$ a month or stick with the medium tab paying 5$ but pay an extra 150?
Userlevel 6

Hi Alex! You first have to pay out your current Tab ($105 + taxes) Then, you pay $150 + tax...

No Alex, we did the math on the new Tabs when they came out, and BY FAR TabMedium is the best deal. TabLarge is abysmal if you value your money. The extra $200 off the phone at first quickly comes back to bite you - hard. Do yourself a favor, save your money, and choose TabMedium!

Alright! Thank you David!
Userlevel 6

Just as a heads up, here's a quick rundown. There's a $5 difference between TabM's and TabL's surcharge (one being $10, one being $5). Over 24 months (the max length of new tabs) that's $120 more than TabM (remember TabM is $300 off the phone, TabL is $500, so a $200 difference). That $200 you saved at first becomes $80 ($200 - $120). That $80 over 24 months is $3.33/month. Now check out TabL plans. They are MUCH MUCH more expensive than $3.33/month compared to TabM plans! Now, take that amount shock, multiply by 24, add taxes and you can see why we all say go TabM 🙂
Userlevel 7

If someone takes Tab L on Koodo for a high end phone, either they were assessed a security deposit from another carrier and really, really cannot afford the extra $200 required for the device or they just hate paying for their phone. Lots of people want a good but free phone, I guess...

So i guess I'll stick with the Medium tab!
Userlevel 6

Yeah I agree. Numbers speak for themselves. I also get a feeling that TabL plans are placeholders for previous iPhone-only plans. Apple wouldn't want to see a weekly flyer with "Apple iPhone 5S, now only $425 on TabM.". I can't see any other reason for these plans to exist, at all.

True. Thanks for the help. I wouldn't of known which way to go!

David, quick question. Was the iPhone 4S $300 dollars the other day? Did it go up in price?
Userlevel 6

The Boxing Week special promos just ended, so from what I can see, the 4S is back to its $450 price point. But yes, it used to be $300 for a short period of time.

Do you think it will ever go back on for $300 dollars? I was going tomorrow thinking the price wouldn't go up:/
Userlevel 6

I really do not know Alex, I'm a fellow customer just like you, and as such, my powers are as limited as yours when it comes to company decisions regarding the price of devices, hehe 🙂 Historically though, as devices get older, prices have been known to fluctuate, so you never know! And since the 4S is quite old by today's standards, maybe you could find a nice used one somewhere? Or better yet, switch to Android and get a MotoG? 😃 (Sorry, I'm a huge MotoG fan, please don't judge, hehe) The best advice we always give out is, grab promos while they run, because sometimes they don't last! Keep your eyes glued to the FB page too, they always make these announcements on the FB page first!

Darn it. I was going to go last week but I need my dad to sign for the papers and he never wanted to go. I have an Android now and hate it! I guess I'll just wait
Userlevel 6

What phone do you have right now Alex? You know, Android itself is quite good, but a bad device can leave a sour taste. If you have something remotely resembling the Galaxy Ace or Ace2X, then yeah, lol! But if you're in Nexus 4 or 5 or Galaxy S3-S4 territory, it's a whole different game!
Userlevel 5

I highly recommend you not get the iPhone 4S. In all honesty, it's not that great of a device anymore and I have a lot of friends who have the 4S and it's really slow and unresponsive. I think getting the S3-S4, or the Nexus's will be a great investment overall.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

My sister has a 4S and it's still quite a capable phone (it gives her less issues than my Nexus 5, for example, despite being slower). That being said, I can not in good conscience recommend it as a $450 purchase at this point in its life-cycle. Even $300 is pushing it. You can find an iPhone 5 in good condition on Kijiji for less than $450.
Is it ok if I jump into this thread and ask similar advice? My plan right now is $30 on small tab (which I already paid off outright a few weeks ago) which includes 150 mins and 200MB data. I want to switch from my crappy ACE 2 (which I had for a year now and am SICK of it lol) to the Nexus 5!!:D Now that the sale is over (which I missed but oh well) the phone is $350 for small tab, but $200 on tab M. Is it a better deal to go with Tab S and pay $350 outright and keep my $30/mo or would I save $ in the long run going to tab M and just tacking on the $5 extra plus taxes? I don't mind paying the 350- I've saved for it. But if it makes more sense to go up a bit to tab M then I might consider that. I kinda liked having a cheap phone plan at 30 + tax b/c I only use it for texting (which I do a lot!!!) and occasional data usage when not on wifi, and I barely use my minutes up, if at all!. I am a researcher type persona and like to be fully confident in my decisions before I make my purchases lol. I am dying to get my hands on the nexus 5! hoping to go and get it today. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
neonfreak52 wrote:

Is it ok if I jump into this thread and ask similar advice? My plan right now is $30 on small...

Your best value overall is to purchase the N5 directly from Google (www.google.ca/nexus/5/). It's $350 + $17 shipping plus available taxes (for a 16 GB model, there's also a 32 GB model for $50 more). Plus, you can choose the white version as well if you prefer. Then, since you owe no tab money, you can request the 10% SIM-only discount on your monthly plan (you can do that now actually since you have no tab balance.
Userlevel 6
neonfreak52 wrote:

Is it ok if I jump into this thread and ask similar advice? My plan right now is $30 on small...

neonfreak: since you do A LOT of texting and not a lot of voice/data, why not switch to prepaid since you're considering buying your phone anyway? It could save you some serious bucks! The base plan for unlimited SMS is $15/month, and if you add boosters for voice and/or data, they never expire. Both Sophia and I are prepaid users, and our usage patterns on prepaid allows both of us to keep the money where it belongs: our wallet 🙂
neonfreak52 wrote:

thats a good idea david! It makes sense!! I will strongly consider it. Still haven't gotten the new phone yet but dying to.